free website stats program Improvised stage1 | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Improvised stage1

I was looking at the stats on the K&N website between the stock HD filter and the K&N...You can pick up about 12HP...at 6000 RPM! I don't know about anyone else on here but my Ultra will probably never see 6000 RPM! At the 3000 RPM range, the dyno curves are pretty much on top of each other. So, I guess there would really be no point in investing my hard earned cash for something that would give me no performance difference in the range I usually operate in. Increased fuel mileage, maybe...cooler running motor...probably not any noticable difference (thigh-flamin' hot is still gonna be thigh-flamin' hot!). Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

This reminds me of a conversation I had with buddy the other day,He spent $26,000. on his bike ,but he bought used pipes I had after I had asked Glider by part# if they were okay for my bike and I was told they would be too restrictive,told him the same thing ,but he bought them anyway because they were cheap .Then he was showing me exactly this,how he was going to drill his inner cover and then add X ieds I think thats right? that he bought off ebay for $30. and it would all be great for under $150. I laughed at him,told him how cheap he was had a beer and came home:D

I swear I have seen this post before.
I think my RG will have SE heavy breather on it in a couple weeks.
I know there are Lower cost ways to do the same thing, but I like the way it looks

Can we go in the archives somewhere and find this post by YOU Smitty?

The way it read,it sounded like you had posted a while ago,and from what I have read of your care and upgrades it surprised me to think you would take a $100. shortcut:D

Keep in mind that it is possible to increase your airflow to the point where you will lose the benefit of the increased fuel, and wind up right back in the same lean A/F ratio that you had when you started.
Only difference will be now, your fuel mileage will be terrible and your heat problem will be right back where it was.
If you are only putting on slip ons and adding a little fuel to the mix, the stock air cleaner element is capable of flowing sufficient air, if given a little more open area to draw it from....thus the purpose of drilling a few holes in the housing.
Add a K&N replacement for the stock filter, and you increase the air flow a little more, without overdoing it.
Remember too, you are concerned with the air that is flowing into the filter when you are moving....not when you are sitting still at an idle. Airflow while moving will be cool air.
I thought I would try this as an experiment about 14000 miles ago.....works just fine and I really see no benefit to changing it.......other than spending another $100.00

Hey gs34,
Sound like you are happy with your setup, what fuel mods did you do? Did it increase the intake noise? I rode my son Dyna with SE stage 1 and didn't like the intake noise. Thanks, Kevin

Saw a video on Spike TV. A guy installed a K&N Hi flow A/C on hi scoot and then drilled several holes in the bottom of the mounting plate, thereby allowing more air into the unit. I know that is all a dealer bought Stage 1 kit does, open things up and allow more air. I just bought a TFI, so I can adjust the fuel, and am thinking about going this route to avoid paying dealer price for a stage 1. what do you guys thing? will it work..

I dont understand....:nosad Ya buy a $20k bike and your gonna (EDITED) the air cleaner??? :laugh

Do yerself a favor and do it right..........

Please read...
[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

Back