free website stats program Improvised stage1 | Harley Davidson Forums

Improvised stage1

Mavagrand

Saw a video on Spike TV. A guy installed a K&N Hi flow A/C on hi scoot and then drilled several holes in the bottom of the mounting plate, thereby allowing more air into the unit. I know that is all a dealer bought Stage 1 kit does, open things up and allow more air. I just bought a TFI, so I can adjust the fuel, and am thinking about going this route to avoid paying dealer price for a stage 1. what do you guys thing? will it work..

I saw the same think awhile ago .. the stage one backing plate removes all but what is needed to fit the filter to it .. way more open than what he did .. and you get a real air filter vs the tiny stock one ..

My stock AC assembly rear plate intake hole fits just inside the TB while the stage1 is the same size as the TB wouldnt this also allow more air flow?

My stock AC assembly rear plate intake hole fits just inside the TB while the stage1 is the same size as the TB wouldnt this also allow more air flow?

The stock unit with the exception of the SE bikes is pretty much sealed up where the chrome cover meets the backing plate. When you go to the stage 1, the plate is pretty much flat and is open around the edge of the chrome cover and the filter is taller than the stock filter so more air in means more power usually.

I just picked up a new in box chrome Big Sucker stage 1 for $100 (shipped), only about $30 more than just the K&N replacement filter.

Have fun and ride safe.

Todd

The HD S/E air cleaner is open all the way around the football, (vs the three rectangular holes of the stock back plate) the S/E filter media is twice as tall as the stock media. You can hear and feel the difference with a high flow air system. I don't think drilling holes in the back plate would do much for you. But I guess more air is better then less.

Here's my two cents; Wouldn't you want to suck in the air that is the coldest possiable? Or as far away from the heat of the motor? By drilling holes in the backing plate you would suck in hot air from the motor, no?

Not to mention, if you drill holes in the backing plate inside the filter, you are sucking UNFILTERED hot air. That can't be good.

Not to mention, if you drill holes in the backing plate inside the filter, you are sucking UNFILTERED hot air. That can't be good.

It's usually done outside of the filter ring in the backing plate. It doesn't add significantly more air because the shorter filter is still the restriction in the system.

Back