free website stats program I'm confused!! | Harley Davidson Forums

I'm confused!!

Sgt York

I did a search for rear shock oil and the more I read the more I'm confused!!

I have a 07 EG and want to lower it so I got a set of 12” HD air shocks. When I got them the oil had leaked out.

How much and what weight oil does the 12” take? I bought some Amsoil 5wt shock oil but after spending the afternoon lookin g on the intranet maybe I should hve bought 10wt.

I started to put the 13" back on, but like a dummy I laid them down and now the oil has leaked out of them also.

Thanks

Last edited:
Touring Air Shock Oil Change - Harley Davidson Community

This will work for the 12" too

Also put the oil in mount them to the bike and then set it on the ground.. yes some will leak out at 11oz mine were over filled when i put air to them when i checked it later i ended up with oil in the lines so i let bike settle and got on it my self bled some more oil out and now its fine

Touring Air Shock Oil Change - Harley Davidson Community

This will work for the 12" too

Also put the oil in mount them to the bike and then set it on the ground.. yes some will leak out at 11oz mine were over filled when i put air to them when i checked it later i ended up with oil in the lines so i let bike settle and got on it my self bled some more oil out and now its fine

Thanks Bud. Did you have the 12" or 13" shocks? How much oil you think leaked back out?

If I had to do it over I would have left the front springs and rear shocks alone. I can not tell that the bike is a inch lower, and it does ride rougher. With 2 back surgery in the last 2 years and I now I take Celebrex to put off number 3, this is getting to be a pain in the back.

Thanks Bud. Did you have the 12" or 13" shocks? How much oil you think leaked back out?

If I had to do it over I would have left the front springs and rear shocks alone. I can not tell that the bike is a inch lower, and it does ride rougher. With 2 back surgery in the last 2 years and I now I take Celebrex to put off number 3, this is getting to be a pain in the back.

i have the 13" i would guess 1oz maybe 2 at most cuahgt it all with paper towels mrs had one i the other i would at least go with 11oz just to be on the safe side and bleed some out instead of trying to add more when on the bike

Safest to purge them of all the fluid and start over again with the proper amount. No need for a hydraulic lock with too much oil.

Safest to purge them of all the fluid and start over again with the proper amount. No need for a hydraulic lock with too much oil.

Thanks Glider. I was planning to purge what ever oil was was left in the shocks before adding oil back in. But what is the proper amount for the 12" low profile shocks.

I plan on doing this next weekend when I figure out the amount of oil that goes back in. I hope it is going to be warm as I am also planning to put fullsac true duals on then also. TFI and SE slipons are installed.

My wife said that this is becoming the new money pit. I tell her it is a work in progress. Might never be done!

Back