free website stats program If you can't own it, you can't afford it. | Harley Davidson Forums

If you can't own it, you can't afford it.

Gilligan

I'm sure there will be many who disagree, but especially in this day and age it's good food for thought. There are way too many used bikes for sale out there because of "easy financing" gone bad. I've always been of the mind that my bike is a luxury and if I can't own it, I should wait until I can. Then again, I am one of the few in my group that holds the title to my own machine! All I'm saying is that while we all get very caught up in all the features when considering our purchase, we should also check to insure that this purchase "fits" within our budget.
I swear that "potato...potato...potato" sound is much sweeter when it's yours, not the banks! Just a thought.

THATS RUBBISH. The poor can enjoy life as much as the well to do even if its only for a short period of time. Not all the people on this planet are blessed with well paying jobs or born with a silver spoon in their mouth.

The bank owns my house my bike and my car.

Riding my bike is one of the few pleasues I still enjoy.
That "potato...potato...potato" sounds just as sweet, even if the banks does own my bike.

sorry got to disagree only thing i owe on though is harley and house .. wish i was able to walk to dealer and slap down 22k like i was buying a pop at the party store .. but sorry i have to live in the real world and at my age not gonna happen

I too would like to pay for what I buy, but at our age that doesnt always happen .We too owe on th big Harley(Hubby's Heritage) the Sporty is paid for . One car and the house are paid for .Two years we will be debt free and plan to stay that way,but it's not always easy.Some times you just have to "eat the brownie NOW" ,in case your not hungry later.LOL.:bigsmiley10::newsmile016:

No problem here. I have just seen threads like this cause problems. There is no reason for people to start trying to state why their way is better.

I am sure a lot of people on this forum owe on their bikes. There is not a thing wrong with that. There is nothing wrong with owning your bike. To somehow state that one is not doing right by financing his bike is just wrong. If it is advise, that is fine. If it turns into a I am better than you thing then it is all just a waste of bandwidth.

Sure, I don't have to read it, but why make someone feel bad for something there is not a problem with?

Just my opinion.

Ride safe!

Last edited:
That's why we have a top notch staff here. If a thread starts going down hill, it's closed/removed/edited or someone gets a PM stating something that should be obvious to them but isn't always to all people.

Let's keep it on a friendly basis so everyone is happy.

My apologies Eric, if I placed a burr under your saddle. It wasn't my intention by a long shot. I'm 53 years old, and bought my first bike (honda cb100) with my paper route money! Another Honda and 2 Suzuki's later and I finally made it to owning my dream machine. A discussion about "easy money, interest rates and the Wall St shenanigans" with my buddies last week spawned the topic. I thought it was good advice for younger riders, never meant to offend. Feel free to manage your own affairs! Screw it, let's ride! Gil..

No problems here.

Your advise is dead on, but not always doable by some. I do own my bike and it is a great feeling. I still owe on my duallie and hate oweing, but I only have five months to go. I am going to drive it until the wheels fall off. After the last couple weeks financial news, I swear I will never finance a toy again. There is nothing wrong with financing as long as one is responsible. I have had to finance many things and there have been no issues.

Maybe I jumped the gun and thought this was going to turn bad. Hopefully it won't. We all seem to be adults here.

This is a great, very informative forum and I like it that way. So don't take my response wrong, maybe I just typed before I thought.

Ride Safe!

Eric

I couldn't afford "Brand New" so I "settled" for something used. I fixed it up and made it my own, and I couldn't be happier! Especially when I own the title for it. My old grandma once said..."just live below your means, and you'll always be able to enjoy the sweet things in life." My '99 is as good (or better) than a new one. Just my 2¢ worth!

Exactly! When I was ready to move up to a bigger bike from my Honda Rebel, I thought I REALY wanted the Nightster, but we had this 2005 XL883L just sitting in the garage,since my husband got his Heritage Classic.I finally gave in and started riding it and after this summer, I decided with a few modifications I would rather not go into debt. I took the money from the sale of the Rebel and made a few changes and VOILA! My "new Sportster Custom 883L."

Now it's "MY bike" :small3d026::small3d026:

Last edited:
Back