free website stats program Idle Backfire/Stall | Harley Davidson Forums

Idle Backfire/Stall

Sharky1948

When hot, at idle (with the EITMS turned off), my engine occasionally coughs/backfires with lots of brownish smoke coming from the air intake and then stalls. It starts back up with no problems. It does not seem to happen with the EITMS turned on.

The engine has the 103" kit, MoFlo breather, Rineharts, PC-V and it's been dyno-tuned. It happened before the dyno tune as well.

Any thoughts?

(And no Glider, this doesn't qualify for the case of Fosters. :p )

Not at all, I know who did the work on it. :s

Ask Eddie G and watch him scratch his head like a rabbit with fleas.

Gonna have to recheck for intake leaks and mapping again (if they know how:s)

Gonna have to recheck for intake leaks and mapping again (if they know how:s)

No need to check mapping since it was dyno'ed by the guy from DynaJet. Custom map now of course.

Set any codes/lights?

Nope. It runs like a champ otherwise. Nice even idle, except for the very occasional hiccup. Screams when I open her up.

Last edited by a moderator:
No need to check mapping since it was dyno'ed by the guy from DynaJet. Custom map now of course.

Quite sure of that are ya?:s Coming out of that place, I wouldn't even bet $.25 on it.

Did I ever tell you the story of the PRO that tuned a bike there to teach them how to tune and they blew the motor up after he left?

Quite sure of that are ya?:s

Very. DynaJet was having problems with their software and it couldn't go on the dyno until a couple of weeks ago when they finally got it straigthened out. The guy from DynaJet comes in two days a week for the tunes. (I had the work done over the winter; it was running with a "standard" map prior to the dyno.) Same problem before and after the dyno, though it did perform better at the high end and the slight decel popping when away. Only happens when very hot.

What temp is very hot? You have a cooler but what temps does this happen at in terms of oil temp naturally being we don't have engine temp.(ie idling in traffic)

I would say either intake leak leaning it out when hot or a sensor acting up.

I still suspect tuning.

Back