free website stats program I hate electrical issues.... Desperately need advice | Harley Davidson Forums

I hate electrical issues.... Desperately need advice

Hey guys,

I have a 2003 Road King Police model with EFI. I took it apart to paint and now that it is all back together when I turn the switch to ignition everything starts as it should.. lights, injectors buzz, dash lights come on and go off as they should. But when I press the start button I get nothing at all, no click from the solenoid or anything.

I used a test light on the hot wire to the solenoid and got no light when I pressed the start button, again at the starter relay I get nothing..

I was about to dive in and trace the system all the way from the handle bar switch to the starter and then thought "I live in the 21st century.. there are places like this where people share advice, how about I ask someone who knows way more about these crazy high tech new bikes than I do before I go screwing up the wiring harness"

And here I am.. Any ideas guys? I would really appreciate any input.

BTW.. this site is legit.. most harley forums are all about how to cram as many eagles and conchos onto one motorcycle as is humanly possible and whats the best way to get your bike to the local moco t-shirt factory for its yearly oil change.. Dont you just love what owning a harley means these days?

Welcome to the forum. I am NOT an electrical guy, but until one comes along, I'll suggest checking the start button and stop button connectors. On my bike they are wht-blk/grn-yel/blk-red. one of the pins could have gotten pushed back or otherwise not making good contact. The "run" switch is in run postiion of course? No offense, it would not be the 2nd or even 3rd time it's happened.
Keep us posted, the more info the better the electrical guys can diagnose.

Let's start at the beginning, have you checked all the fuses to make sure they are good?

Is your RUN switch on?

You mentioned you painted. Are the grounds good? If your grounds are on paint and not metal this could be your issue. Use the battery negative post for your ground and test the circuit again. If it you show a complete circuit, you will need to check all your grounds. If you you still have the issue, then it's time to start tracing.

on police bikes you have to pull in the clutch then it will start. hope this helps........bw

walt, forgot to mention it starts in gear, and cop bikes have different wireing from everybody. i have the 05 book if it helps..............bw

Last edited by a moderator:
I AM AN IDIOT........ wow guys, I havent tried it yet but when he mentioned the clutch i just remembered that on that bike the PO modified the clutch position button so that you have to reach in with your finger to make it think the clutch is pulled in, because of that I always left the key on all the time because I was the only one who knew how to start it..... god I feel stupid.

Don't feel stupid, usually it's the run start switch! We have all gotten in a hurry and missed things. Congrats on figuring it out.

Back