free website stats program I am an idiot...just saying... | Harley Davidson Forums

I am an idiot...just saying...

bcortani

Hi all, been a while since I have been on. Last time I was on I was seeking advice on my bike's problem which was when warmed up, and accellerating it would miss and sputter, then after getting hot, it would run on one cylinder. I beleived the problem was fuel line (in tank) related as all of the symptoms matched that particular issue for my year bike. I replaced the fuel line, and....nope not fixed. I tinkered with the TFI as I thought maybe it had gone bad...nope. It was .....wait for it....a plug wire!:shock! Two seasons of pulling my hair out and it was the most obvious thing, just didn't consider it as they were new Screamin Eagle 10mm wires. here is the problem: When I installed the wires, I missed the loop for the long wire and it was resting against the engine fins. Sooooo, when it was cool, ran great, as it heated up, the wire was getting really really hot and causing a great deal of resisitance so my engine did what it was designed to do to avoid damage. Found it by accident, or would still be :wallbanging my head against the wall trying to figure it out. Went to change spark plugs and bababoom, found it. lol, Now she is back up and the weight of the world is off my shoulders again for a bit. I owe Jack and the crew a big thanks! they actually suggested that early on, but I had just put new wires in and discounted that as a problem...hmmm. Live and learn. :newsmile01:

I consider this a good lesson for all of us. If we have troubles soon after any service work, check that work before assuming some part has gone bad.

Good for you bcortani! Persistence pays off sometimes. Glad you got it sorted.

Thanks for the update. Another reinforcement to "what's the last thing I did" and just because it's new don't mean it's not a problem.

Great you finally got it working properly. Thank's for the update, hopefully help someone down the road.

:D So glad you sorted it out and did not have to carry it to the dealer for BIG bucks:s

It is often easy to overlook the simple and go for the complicated perhaps most of us have done that in the past

Brian

Back