free website stats program I am an idiot...just saying... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

I am an idiot...just saying...

Okay; I'm a member of that club too….
When I was new to riding I became a member when I failed to look at the kill switch when my bike wouldn't start (kick start by the way…….) It was a lesson I will never forget :/
Do I get a club patch.. ? Member number.. ? I have paid my dues…… :)

Well, maybe not half the idiot I beleived i was. The problem came back during a long ride on a hot day after about 30 miles...Grrr. Had a new friend come over who, in his former life was a Harley mechanic. He was the one who pointed me at the spark plugs as well...Turns out I had an intake leak and a partially clogged injector. we tore it apart today and he showed me the rear injector compared to the front injector and it was pretty obvious the rear was forming a pattern. Front was nice and clear. Diagnosed it in five minutes after warming her up and spraying some carb cleaner in the right spots and hearing the motor slow its roll, stutter then idle back up. So have new gaskets, rings; and injectors are going to the ultrasonic cleaner for a hot bath. After pulling the fuel line on the left side of tank some black crud spilled out with the gas (just a tiny bit) which made me think I had to have got bad gas that trip in oregon two years ago when this problem first sufaced. Will definitely update in the next day or so when put back together. Not gonna lie, this has been a big stress (past two seasons), but the minute I had a pro next to me guiding me through the new territory, I was having a blast. I definitely needed the hands on help for this one on the little tricks to removing spring clips and the locking wire/sensor connectors. Am going to try to by a 1/4 " ball end hex to cut down for future endeavors. If I had one we could of probably left the tank on. He left his at home 30 miles away...Weee.:newsmile100:

Now I am at that paranoid newbie stage where i am hoping to all get out that when put back togerther, she runs right again...lol

Last edited:
We all have these kinds of stories- maybe that is why we should ALWAYS go to the pros....

I was hearing some clunking when I shifted gears. It will be two weeks before I can get the girl into the shop- so I thought, I am just going to take off the primary outer cover and see if anything has come lose or broken - wrong decision.... Since one of the bolts is directly in line with the footboards, had to figure a way to get floorboards off- so after figuring out to lean the bike to the right against a floor jack- I proceeded to remove the floorboards- only to strip the torx slot in tow of the bolts....
Well not to be defeated- I thought I will go ahead and take off the primary oil change cover plated- low and behold- I stripped out one of those torx slots....so I drilled a small hole and then a arger hole to get the head to pop off.... Worked great- until I couldn't get the bolt out of the hole... So I went to the depot- got an extractor ..drilled a hole into the bolt - stuck the extractor and twisted with vice grips- snap .... the extractor broke off inside the drilled bolt hole.... so I have made matters worse.... the shop will have to do a lot of work just to crank the Harley to HEAR what the sound is .....
I cant win for losing :)

There is a saying; A wise man learns by his Mistakes...

But a ''Truly'' wise man learns from other people's Mistakes....

Back