free website stats program HVAC Help Anyone | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

HVAC Help Anyone

First off, thanks to all of you and my hubby for saving me from a melt down. I was definitely ready for a melt down. :) Oh yeah, big brother got in on that help too. He even volunteered to come down if needed. I thought that was nice of him since he hasn't been to visit in 6 years. :D, but I know he would come to help me out if I needed him. :s

So, yesterday afternoon, I took the advice I had from you guys, (at that point I was ready to try anything) and I did give the squirrel cage fan a shot of oil just to try to quiet it down in the mean time, that seemed to help a bit.

I left it on while I was gone, but when I got back I went ahead and turned the unit off over night. This morning, I got up and turned it back on and no more clanging. However, it does not seem to be cooling very well.

So, after talking with hubby, we realize that I had mentioned a month or so ago that it seemed like the a/c was on a lot, that is running a lot and not shutting off very often. I just thought it was due to the heat we have had here in the great Midwest. :) Then, he calmly points out that the house was 16 years old when we bought it and we have been here 4 years, and we both know that the previous owners weren't all that great with maintenance, so we are more than likely well over due for a service. (Which he apologized for not doing before he left since we had talked about it).

However, with all of your help, I now have a better grip of what to check and tell the service people. I only wish I had checked the outside unit yesterday. Today, after turning on the a/c again, feeling relieved that there was no racket, I let it run and went to his office to find the paper work for the hot water heater.....:), which will be covered under warranty, :D, then I checked the a//c again and all is well, sort of. At that point I went out to play with the dogs. :D Much needed chilling time for me and for Rocky and Molly. They were sure happy for play time.

I know this is kind of rambling here, but I'm multi-tasking, and not very well I might add; but today as I was going back in the house and the a/c had been running for about 3 hours, I went to check the outside unit. Low and behold, I saw a coating of ice on the pipe on the outside unit. So, I suspect we have some issues. :33: I called a local guy who has helped us in the past, (I forgot about him in my state of panic yesterday) but I now have a better grip on things and am much calmer. I am only running the unit while I am home now, and I am watching things closely until the repair people get out.

Now, one last question, should I just resort to the fans and grab a window unit for the bed room until I get this fixed, or will I be okay running it some while I am there?

And again, I can't thank you all enough. :) :cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers

icing up possibly low on isotron / Freon or way to much r-22 is being fazed out. new stuff not compatible, may just need a shot. check filter clean if needed, makeshure blower in furanice spinning, belt not slipping...

If its icing up its going to waste a lot of energy, I would opt for a window unit and some fans til you can get an AC guy to troubleshoot it stay cool:s

Joy,

We are now into the weekend, so generally call out prices go to at least time and a half. If you can hang on until Monday, you will go back to standard rates(usually around $75). But it may not be too bad paying time and a half to get things back to normal. You likely just need a few pounds of freon charge to get the system cooling again as usual. So even at time and a half, you can probably be back to cooling nicely for under $150.

Having said that, you do not want to run the unit until you get it charged back up. Doing so is hard on the system particularly the compressor.

TQ

icing up possibly low on isotron / Freon or way to much r-22 is being fazed out. new stuff not compatible, may just need a shot. check filter clean if needed, makeshure blower in furanice spinning, belt not slipping...

I will keep an eye on it. I don't think I heard any belt slipping, but I will double check that. My husband conveniently had downloaded a schematic diagram for the unit, so that helped a lot. Thanks again for all the help here. This place is the best.

If its icing up its going to waste a lot of energy, I would opt for a window unit and some fans til you can get an AC guy to troubleshoot it stay cool:s

Joy,

We are now into the weekend, so generally call out prices go to at least time and a half. If you can hang on until Monday, you will go back to standard rates(usually around $75). But it may not be too bad paying time and a half to get things back to normal. You likely just need a few pounds of freon charge to get the system cooling again as usual. So even at time and a half, you can probably be back to cooling nicely for under $150.

Having said that, you do not want to run the unit until you get it charged back up. Doing so is hard on the system particularly the compressor.

TQ

That makes perfect sense. Fortunately, the humidity has dropped and I don't need to have the place real cold. :s I will leave it off until I get it repaired. (I'm like my pop, 80 is cool enough for me) :D

I had already planned on trying to schedule them for one day next week. :s Unfortunately, I have left 2 messages with the company and they have not returned my call at last check, but I have faith they will. If I don't hear from them by tomorrow morning, I will contact another company we have lined up and set something up with them.

Again, thank you all, you have really made me feel better here and have probably saved my husband some worries by keeping me calmed down too. :newsmile106:

I don't know where in Ohio Joyflyin is, but out of 35,000 members we don't have one AC person who can help? As hot as it's been Joy and the dogs don't need to cook all weekend. JMO

Joy, since the spray lubricant helped, you may try a slightly thicker alternative. I would use "Dripless oil" which is an oil the is rather heavy, and when exposed to air, congeals to almost a thin grease consistancy.:s

Use a long stirring straw (you know, the ones where you get your Latte' Grande' after a good mountainbike ride) to give yourself a boost and reward for a job well done.:lolrolling

Joy, since the spray lubricant helped, you may try a slightly thicker alternative. I would use "Dripless oil" which is an oil the is rather heavy, and when exposed to air, congeals to almost a thin grease consistancy.:s

Use a long stirring straw (you know, the ones where you get your Latte' Grande' after a good mountainbike ride) to give yourself a boost and reward for a job well done.:lolrolling

How about using waterproof spray chain lube. Like the kind they use on dirt bikes?

That would work, but those lubes like PJ-1 also are extremely "sticky" which actually attracts dirt big time, and is real messy to get any sticky oily spraw off...! That is why on my bicycles AND chain drive motorcycles I use kerosene and plain ordinary gear lube. Flings a bit, but doesn't make a sticky sludge encrusted mess. Always liked a "somewhat" clean bike, but well worn out back...clean dirt bike is kind of a misnomer! :D

Back