free website stats program HVAC Help Anyone | Harley Davidson Forums

HVAC Help Anyone

Joyflyin

Experienced Member
Staff member
Hey folks, I have an air conditioner that is making an awful racket...:( It's still cooling, but I don't know how long I can take the noise, and I would have to suspect it is only a matter of time before it quits completely. It just started last night, so I got up and turned it off. (Hoping that it was going to be all better after a break)

Unfortunately, the Mr. Fixit that I married, (he really can fix just about anything), is unavailable for some time and I am left to deal with this all my own.

If anyone can offer any advice as to what it might be, I would greatly appreciate it.

I sort of diagnosed it to the round fan like thing that is inside the unit, but unfortunately, I can't really get anything other than my arm in to check it out. If there are any secrets that one can share with me to A.) quiet the thing down until he gets home, or B.) arm me with information that will keep me from getting played by the air conditioning company, I would greatly appreciate it. (BTW, 'round fan like thing' is a technical term! :D)

Thanks a million!

Joy

Sounds like the fan motor bearings are shot. First shut the unit down at the circuit breaker. Remove the top fan guard and you should be able to remove the fan blade and then the motor, most have a plug. If it doesn't have a plug you will have to follow the wires back to where they attach and remove the screws holding the wires to the unit. After you get the motor out most any of the home improvement big box stores will have a replacement.

Don is probably right. The fan bearings are shot. While you are working on the fan look at the capacitor. This is usually attached to or near the fan to help it start. Look to see if the flat area around the terminals or the bottom seem to be "swollen" or bulging slightly. If so replace it also. This will save you problems later down the road.

There should be a disconnect near the outside unit. Pull the fuses / disconnect before working on the unit.

Good luck Joy!

Last edited:
turn off.. spray a lubricant down shaft at bearing its not designed to be lubed but it temporary may help..

Thank you all soooo much! I will try the lube and then try to get the fan out tomorrow morning. :D :D I really don't want to buy a new unit until he gets back. :) Thanks again, I will let you know how it turns out. You all are great!

On my central air one time a blade broke off. I was very lucky that it didn't damage anything else because the blade was jammed and had stalled the motor.
Kemo

Joy if it's cooling you should not have to replace the unit. The fan motor and capacitor should cost less than $50 with you doing the install. How long has it been since the unit had a service?

Thanks you guys. :cheers:cheers Ultrat, I gave it a quick shot of Liquid Wrench before I left and that seemed to help. Of course, I talked to hubby and of course he agrees with the fan diagnosis, and of course, I'm gone and he says I probably should have turned it off. Ooops, but oh well, next time. I figured I will shut it off tonight when I get home .I will try to get the fan out tomorrow, but if it turns out to be more trouble than it's worth, I will do hubby's suggestion of "Just call the guy who fixed the furnace". :D I'm trying to save some money here & he just sounds so logical. LOL

I will update you all later with the results later.

Joy,

I had the AC system get low on Freon to the point that the suction side (larger diameter copper pipe going into the outside unit) was freezing up. A great big ball of ice formed around the suction line at the compressor (and up in the attic at the evaporator coil too, but that is a whole different problem). The ice finally got large enough for the fan blade to hit it creating a racket. I foolishly shut off the system which then allowed the ice to melt. Not a big deal outside, but the ice in the attic melted too, and the water overflowed the drain pan and pooled up on the ceiling panel downstairs. What a nightmare that was!!

So if the spray lube does not temporarily solve the problem until you can replace the fan motor, watch for freezing on the suction line. You will be able to see this on any exposed section of the suction line, or under the insulation if someone has done a good job. If you feel the suction line and it is ice cold rather than just cool, your system is probably low on freon.

TQ

Back