free website stats program How often | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

How often

for those of you with spoked tires, how do you check the tire pressure? Hubby has trouble checking it.

i check the oil level usually after the ride...so it ready for the next time...always look at the floor just to see if anythings leaking..still check it after 53,000 miles..lol but each and every time i do check the lights and turn signals and brake lights. Tires pressure like most once a week depending on how often i get to ride.I have laced wheels and i just have a the stems at 6 o'clock and use a air gauge with a 90 degree head rather that the normal 45 degree head..it also has a gauge to check depth of tread...

pookibr,

I don't have any trouble checking the air pressure, but I do find that a gauge that has a 90 degree angle as opposed to a straight gauge is a little easier. Also positioning the valve stem for easiest access helps.

for those of you with spoked tires, how do you check the tire pressure? Hubby has trouble checking it.

pookibr,

I don't have any trouble checking the air pressure, but I do find that a gauge that has a 90 degree angle as opposed to a straight gauge is a little easier. Also positioning the valve stem for easiest access helps.

Low profile 45 to 90 deg brass head at the end of hose type tire guage works well...found at most automotive supply stores "like" the nice (READ EXPENSIVE) HD one at $45-$50...but hey, it looks great with the orange and black logo on the face and it has a built in bleed valve and thread wear guage. :D

As for "pre-flight" inspection Daily: tires (visual only), brakes stop and go "feel" every time...! Weekly: tires visual & check pressure, full visual inspection all steering controls, (lock to lock), linkages (brakes, gear, throttle, footrests), all fluid levels and leakage...with overall cleanliness check. Monthly: random fasteners check, tires and suspension check, accessories check (bag holddowns, loose straps, battery tender restores battery to green inside of an hour after attached, actual wash and dry as needed.

Last edited:
No, I don't check everything everytime I ride. I check the gas gauge before heading out.

I check the oils once a month.

I check the tire pressure once a week.

I also don't adjust my clutch every 5000 miles like the manual says.

Sorry, that is just being honest.

Last edited:

Not as often as I should... Last time I checked both were about 25lbs... I have a solid, angle head gauge that I've used for 25+ years - got it back when I worked on cars - I think an upgrade is in my future :D

Rear tire is harder to check than the front - the bags cut down the access...

Got to say that I am religious about doing the preride check, and actually did find the brake light not working once. I figure it takes all of about two minutes and is worth the effort.

I change the oil at 2500 miles, at that time I remove the bags and check nuts and bolts as the oil drains, some are loose some are tight, I work my way from the back to front, evan pull the side covers to check those under it. lube everthing that moves, check lights, brake pads, air in tires and shocks, you can get a good look over in a short amount of time. Oil and filter change takes me about 45 minutes, on a daily list it is the lights, brake operation, and on average once a week check tire pressure.

I check oil and tire pressure every time .I am able to do a visual as I am knocking the dust off.And it will get the once over when I return because I like to clean the bugs off before they embed into my paint.

The biggest thing my friend all tell me is to check the tire pressure at least once a week. Prper pressure will prolong the life of the tire.

Back