free website stats program How many miles between oil changes? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

How many miles between oil changes?

Moisture in the oil? Also a wives tale. Oil temps over 212 any water boils off. With good syn oil the main reason for changing is to remove hydrocarbon buildup. The oil can only hold so much then it will settle into sludge in the bottom of the case.

Moisture in the oil? Also a wives tale.

Ever look at engine oil that does just short runs?? I think you would change your mind here. You'll find what looks like whipped cream on the underside of the filler cap, that's moisture.

Ever look at engine oil that does just short runs?? I think you would change your mind here. You'll find what looks like whipped cream on the underside of the filler cap, that's moisture.

Thats why anytime the engine is started it needs to be brought to full operating temperature and continue to run for several minutes...(a minimum of 30 minutes is a good rule of thumb)..,to remove the condensation formed last time it cooled off...I cringe whenever I read those winter posts where guys say they start their bikes every week or two and let it run for a few minutes...does more harm than good.....:cheers

3500 for me Mobil vtwin full syn....wondering how often do you change tranny fluid...manual says 20,000? I use spectro 6 speed for the heli cut gears in the 09 FLHX. I would think it should be more frequent but I have no idea.:33:

Engine oil , when ever it starts to get dirty, ( somewhere before 2ooo ) primary, 5000 , transmission, I went to 10K on my heritage, I never saw anything that made me feel that sooner was better. It was clean, no chips,

--chino

Match how often you change tranny and primary oils like the motor oil...based on your duty cycle: short trips or long, daily or weekend, temperature, humidity, etc. and your personal comfort level and budget. Too short and it is wasteful to your ride, pocketbook and the environ, too long and you risk wear obviously.

In the beginning the change time will be short as metal bits from break in are floating around in there in spite of the "dispersants and detergent" additives just to keep the debris suspended until they can be caught by the magnet (hopefully). If you see a few particles, you are okay...if it "covers" the magnet, you might consider shorter interval.

3500 for me Mobil vtwin full syn....wondering how often do you change tranny fluid...manual says 20,000? I use spectro 6 speed for the heli cut gears in the 09 FLHX. I would think it should be more frequent but I have no idea.:33:

I only have 357 miles on my new 09 ultra, I changed the oil and tranny fluid at just a little over 100 miles, the tranny because I wanted to put in the spectro full synthetic for 6 speeds. My next change will be 1000 all three, then every 3000 after that. My feelings are a quart of transmission fluid and f+ for the primary is cheap insurance. I would rather change it before it breaks down too much.

Back