free website stats program How many miles between oil changes? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

How many miles between oil changes?

Check out the amsoil website. True synthetic. Double manufactures miles for changing oils, in all three holes.
I change once a year usually between 8-10 thou.

3500 for me Mobil vtwin full syn....wondering how often do you change tranny fluid...manual says 20,000? I use spectro 6 speed for the heli cut gears in the 09 FLHX. I would think it should be more frequent but I have no idea.:33:

I have used REDLINE SHOCKPROOF HEAVY in my many bikes trannys for years.... I have NEVER found ANY metal on the drain magnet.... EVER....

When I talked to the tec @ REDLINE, he asked HOW OFTEN I changed my tranny SHOCKPROOF heavy because I had ordered 8 quarts..... I responded between 3000-6000 miles..... I asked him back what he thought...

He said I could go for a year at the least and 2 years. at the most......

IF NOT CONTAMINATED with mosture.....(washing wrong or driving in heavy weather CAN get water into the tranny air hose breather)

THAT was "NOTHING OFFICAL" by him.... OFFICALLY saying "GO BY THE HD suggested change intervals".... (20'000)

Just knowing me for years and MY buying oil buy the case.... nice he was trying to save me some $$$$

I will change the tranny by 1 year from now on.... HEY that is about 20'000 miles....

JUST MY WAY....signed BUBBIE

2,500 miles. engine oil is cheaper than a motor!! the downside to synthetic oils is you will hear more upper motor noise than normal. Stick with 20w-50 regular oil, change the oil & filter every 2500 and you should be good.

I use Spectro 6 HD in the tranny on my 06 EG Classic (SE 6 speed & 103 with Woods cams) and changed it at 10,000 just after I got back from a 5,000 mile trip out to Glacier and it looked almost new with no metal on the magnet. Probably could have gone the whole season.

On the other hand, I use Mobil 1 VT in the crank and changed it and the filter just before I left and changed it at the same time I did the tranny (5K total) and it was absolutely black and cruddy. Nothing but good miles on it; anywhere from 350 - 700 a day, so I have to wonder if the stock HD filter is doing the job I would have hoped it would do?

Last edited:
Just some food for though on the tranmission. If your running Spectro there is no reason you can not go the full 20,000 or riding season whatever ever comes first. Tranmission lube in these new bikes come out as good as it went in.

I think my manual says to replace at 1000, 5000, 10,000 and every 10,000 after that, of course that is by the manual and using f+. So you think I could go a whole riding season or 20,000 which ever is less on the transmission using spectro platinum full synthetic for six speeds? What about the primary? It has the same schedule as the transmission. Thanks.

Trans shouldn't be a problem but it's only 1 quart of oil so why push the envelope?

Primary gets dirty from the clutch wear so I would do it with the engine oil.

Myself, I do all 3 at 2500, cheap insurance.

every one has an opinion and the way we do things is up to the individual as to what info they would like to digest. I swear by amsoil and my Bro-inlaw swears by HD Dino oil. Some don't like certin things, some do. Like Religion and politics.
Have fun!!!

Also I believe the sump holds one quart+- of dirty oil that stays in there to mix with the clean oil. Run 200 miles and see if it is clean or not.
just a thought!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Right on, that is way i handle it as well. It is not about how many miles between oil change but taking care of the machine. I mean do you love to ride then you have to take care of ride.

Back