free website stats program How do YOU turn it off? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

How do YOU turn it off?

Do you leave the key in when you ride? My owner's manual states do not leave the key in the ignition as this may cause it to fall out on the road. On that same note NEVER store your fob with your cell phone it can mess up it's programming.It takes alot of time in a motel parking lot to figure out what is going on and disarm manually ,unfortunatally I found this one out firsthand.:(

Steve brought up an interesting point...on the HD, do you/can you remove the key while bike is running? On my Metrics you could not, I remember being able to pull it out in "Accessory mode", never tried it in "Ignition mode" on my Sporty because it is a long reach...guess I'll go out and check. Thanks for the insight Steve! :newsmile091:

I think on the bikes that use the barrel key, there is usually a tang on the key that will keep it in the ignition when it is turned on. Aside from that, I don't think it's a good idea to leave the key in the ignition with a key ring on it that has other keys on it. The weight can damage the ignition lock in time.
Usually the locks on the dash give you the option of no key needed once it is unlocked but the ignitions on the side of the bikes or neck usually retain the key in the lock.
It's hard to keep up with this company.

I always use the kill switch, its the way I was told to do it on my first bike. I believe the modern H.D. bikes have some sort of tilt sensor that shuts off the fuel pump and ignition if the bike goes down, can anyone verify this?

Do you leave the key in when you ride? My owner's manual states do not leave the key in the ignition as this may cause it to fall out on the road. On that same note NEVER store your fob with your cell phone it can mess up it's programming.It takes alot of time in a motel parking lot to figure out what is going on and disarm manually ,unfortunatally I found this one out firsthand.:(

I don't think I can take the key out with the ignition on. I will go outside and check.

What's a cellphone? Only kidding. Yes, they live indifferent places. I have also heard of one case of a guy parked in the bean of a auto opening shop door and the fob wouldn't disarm the alarm. He had to roll the bike out of the doorway, alarm blasting! All that said I love not having to push buttons to arm and disarm.

I always use the kill switch, its the way I was told to do it on my first bike. I believe the modern H.D. bikes have some sort of tilt sensor that shuts off the fuel pump and ignition if the bike goes down, can anyone verify this?

That's correct. It's part of the TSM/TSSM

Kill switch then the key off. Key in first key out last. And the key out part sucks every time, it means the ride is over.

I do the kill switch and then the key.......but, I have been known to forget the key. One time it drained my battery. That was embarassing!!:newsmile030:

started with a super glide with the key behind your right leg by the battery box, it was easier to use the kill switch get off the bike and pull the key. now i use the kill switch then the switch on the tank i think its all what your habits are.

Glider covered it earlier and so has Gary its also very easy to spot not only is your bike lying on the floor but the screen will show the word 'TILT' do not ask how i know, it also resets with 3 or 4 cycles of the switch

Howdyaknow? That was easy Rob...ya read the manual like all good HDT posters and moderators do! Missteaks-what-r-em?:D

I thought TILT was if you were to rough on the ol' pinball machine...:hii

Back