free website stats program How do YOU turn it off? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

How do YOU turn it off?

I was told by the dealer upon picking my sporty up, use the kill switch first and then the ignition key. It would never occur to me to use the key first, as on my '05 the ignition is located in front of the gas tank. Not a very convenient location, IMHO.

I didn't reply to this post when it was current (I always used the key to turn on and off), but when I had my (new to me) 03 RG in for repair, the indy noticed me turning it off with the ignition switch and gave me what for. He said he's seen (and had happen to him) ecm's get fried by transient voltage when the ignition switch is turned off while carrying the fuel injection current. He said that when you turn off the kill switch, you've cut the power to the fuel injection system, which (and here I'm not sure what he meant, so if it sounds really dumb it's me not him talking) will prevent the aforementioned spikes.

I don't know if it's true, but being new to fuel injected motors, I figure I'll do it his way. Makes no difference to me, as I have to learn a new way anyway. I'm used to the key hanging under the gas tank, which I have to admit, I still reach for occasionally.

If this argument is nonsense, I'd appreciate being set straight.

According to the owner's manual for my 2006 XL1200C, it states to use the handlebar mounted kill switch first, and then turn off the key switch. I can understand the logic as stated in two previous answers (save arcing on the key switch, and allow the ECM to get any error messages before power is removed).

However, I'm so old school I still use the key switch. I'm in the wrong, but old habits are hard to break.....

Steve Scott

One other reason, if you always use the kill switch first, if you really need to kill the ignition quickly without looking or reaching, you will hit the kill switch instinctively...a good ol' habit if you ask me! :small3d026:

Kill switch if for when you fall down and go boom. It used as a emergency off switch in case you do not have the time to take your hands off the bars to turn off the ignition.

Ignition switch. I leave the switch on the handlebar in the on position.

The only time my KILL switch was used was when I let my son ride my bike.I got on after that and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start:newsmile038:

Back in the day (way before fuel injection on bikes) we used the kill switch. That's just the way everyone was taught. I've always done it that way out of habit. Then when I re-mount, I turn the ignition on, then turn on the kill switch, then hit the starter.

Fuel injection is hard to get used to...I keep looking for the gas tank petcock...

Back before they had clutch/ignition interfaces, I figgered it would keep some goober or small child from hitting the start switch if I parked my bike for a hot second. Another possible reason was so that you had both hands on the bars when you hit the starter. If you weren't paying attention, and for some reason was covering the starter button when you turned the key (back before clutch/starter interfaces) you might send your bike unexpectedly down the street.

I never owned a pre-starter era bike, did the kick start bikes has kill switches? Rode mini bikes as a kid, don't remember if they had the kill switch or not...

We were taught the main purpose of the kill switch is to shut the engine down PRONTO if you drop the bike. Some folks even had dead man switches consisting of a plastic key tied to your wrist...if you fell off/laid down the bike, the key popped out and killed the engine.

A running engine lying on the side doesn't get proper oil lubrication, and tear up the bearings in a hurry. I religiously use the kill switch so that my hand will know where it is without looking in the event I really, really need to use it.

I had four instances in life where I had to scramble to turn off the engine and the kill switch came in real handy...

For what it's worth...

I used to always use the kill switch.Then on my Triumph (Daytona 955i) the dealer said not to, use the key.

I am more than happy to go back to using the kill switch because I hate the key location on the FXDB (in the steering lock). Maybe putting the key there makes more sense now! I felt like a retard reaching over the tank to turn her off at the gas station and a couple of times the key fell out. With the fob in my jacket I should be able to leave the key in and wander off to pay for gas...

I used to always use the kill switch.Then on my Triumph (Daytona 955i) the dealer said not to, use the key.

I am more than happy to go back to using the kill switch because I hate the key location on the FXDB (in the steering lock). Maybe putting the key there makes more sense now! I felt like a retard reaching over the tank to turn her off at the gas station and a couple of times the key fell out. With the fob in my jacket I should be able to leave the key in and wander off to pay for gas...

Do you leave the key in when you ride? My owner's manual states do not leave the key in the ignition as this may cause it to fall out on the road. On that same note NEVER store your fob with your cell phone it can mess up it's programming.It takes alot of time in a motel parking lot to figure out what is going on and disarm manually ,unfortunatally I found this one out firsthand.:(

Ignition switch for normal use, kill switch for emergencies. Seems to have cut back on having to reset the ECM for high idle as often.

Back