free website stats program How do I change oil tank? | Harley Davidson Forums

How do I change oil tank?

I tried and couldn't get it out. Removed seat(s), side covers, 4 oil tank bolts, pushed wires aside, and the oil tank won't move.

Are there instructions somewhere, how to remove oil tank on any 2007 Sportster?

Thanks.

I have never taken the oil tank out of a rubber mount sportster but have done it a few times on solid mount sportsters and as HD tend to keep things pretty similar from one model to the next i would suspect that things are similar the battery tray and the oil tank are mounted as a single unit on a number of rubber mounts and it may be that you need to remove the battery and remove the bolts That hold the battery tray and oil tank together there should also be some rubber mounts under the battery tray that need to be undone to remove the pair as a single unit

Brian

May be this page can help you

tn942s3.jpg

Thank you 3 gents. So far I have used all of this info, and it is the battery tray that is stuck. Of course the oil tank is still wedged in, there's nipples on the bottom, plus the largest part of the tank that don't clear the battery tray.

I took a couple of allen head bolts out of the battery tray, and loosed the master cylinder, so it is just pushed aside.

Well, I am wondering if the Fender needs to come off, surely that is drastic?
To get the Fender/sissy bar/saddlebag brackets off my bike - the shocks need to come off, and the bike/frame must be slung up! Right now the wheel and tire is in the way of saddlebag bracket bolts too. Looking rather difficult.

I just don't get it.

I am still having no luck removing the battery tray. Cant get the final bolt behind oil tank, right side, I guess?

So my friend wants to remove rear shocks and the Fender.

It seems like the bike exploded, into about 50 parts.

Really, I made this mess, taking things apart.

But the oil tank is stuck in there good.

Any comments?

Best way is to get service manual and follow the instructions. I wish I could help you but I don't have SM.

I got the Service manual, and the rear fender has to come off.

It looks like you are to be the forum knowledgeable one on rubber mount sportster oil tank removal and rear fender removal and lots of other stuff removal
Please keep us updated as any info you post on the forum will be read by many and it may help someone in the future

Brian

Back