How did this happen?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Sunnysideup, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Sunnysideup

Sunnysideup Junior Member

Water had gotten into my transmission recently somehow and has turned the oil milky yellow. Yes we have had lots of rain in the south recently but this is not normal. Thankfully I did not ride it very long in this condition but is it seriously harmful?

Bike always kept under shelter and usually covered as well.

2. doctor727

doctor727 Active Member

Should not be very harmfull if you do the following; Drain the trans oil, flush the trans with a mild parts cleaner or Kerosene, let the trans drain for at least a day to get all the cleaner out, and then fill with your favority trans oil. Be sure that you replace both o-rings. ride the bike for 20 miles or so and drain the oil again.

3. glazier

glazier Junior Member

and refill :p

wonder how water got in there in the first place??? did you check the trans oil level??? how high was it??? just wondering if water got in or is it just some condensation??? if it's much higher than normal, then water got in somehow. you better find out how, or it will happen again.

4. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Or is it do to short trips and the bike not rode far enough for the oil to get hot enough to evaporate condensation???

5. DFHarley19

DFHarley19 Active Member

Evaporate to where? I think it comes out of the rubber hose on the top of transmission?

6. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Correct there is a breather for the condensation to evaporate out of. So has there been alot of short trips that has caused oil to not get to full temp to evaporate water???? Which could be a cause of water in trans oil...

7. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Check your vent hose, if need be reroute it higher

8. Slo-Ryd

Slo-Ryd Junior Member Contributor

+1 on the above post(s). Humid conditions and/or cold or cool mornings with short rides will cause this. Happened on my Evo when riding in 40* temps in November last year and noticed milkiness in my oil tank.

9. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

I can see this happening with engine oil, the tranny does not have waste from combustion like the engine, that said I would be looking at the vent and re routing it to higher position JMO

10. DFHarley19

DFHarley19 Active Member

Thanks guys! I learned something new... :s