free website stats program How did this happen? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

How did this happen?

I'd drain it.... THEN READ BELOW********.

..... and put in a Quart of 30 weight OIL of choice..

Go for a rid 10-15 miles round trip...

Drain it and then put in your favorite lube...

If the hose is bent or moved IMPROPER Location, IT can get water into the tranny....

*********BUT FIRST take an accurate Measure of WHAT Drains out I MEAN accurate

Then you will see HOW much water got in... Condensation will be Small amount and Hose water?/RAIN will be a larger amount.

IF you get a quart and several Ounces more you have a serious problem of water getting in... (the tube?)

Just My Way

signed....BUBBIE

Sorry, read this a few times you will get it... Gotta rush off... Haste makes w... Bye

Ok drained out the recently replaced oil (looks fine, correct amount). Put in 30 wt and took it for my normal 15 mile loop I sometimes do after work. Tomorrow after work I will drain and measure what comes out. Also I will look up in the manual for where the proper location for the vent tube should be to verify it's correct.

IF you Drained out the First contaminated oil already already (Once) and then added the 30 w oil OR your regular lube,,,,,,,....Draining that out again will be enough and Should have cleansed out the inners of the tranny...
Now just put in the new supply of what you use...That should do the job.:s

Measuring out the FIRST oil that SHOWED contamination was the Idea of the Measurement to SEE how much liquid was in it... Not after, UNLESS the oil shows all creamy again.

The spout is in a 180* Loop UP and Over to a downward position and bottom of opening is pointed toward the Void in front middle of where it comes out of the tranny cover top.

The tranny vent is also Used for the Primary Vent....

The Primary vents Air IN and OUT from the Primary to the Tranny.

Air Goes thru the clutch mechanical parts... Using the clutch throw-out rods Flat Side (machined flat on one side) for air "in and out" To the tranny for ventilation.. Only way the Primary gets to change the Air Pressure Changes from Heating and Cooling inside...

Might be a good Idea to look at the color of the primary lube also...(derby cover off and Just Look) Hopefully water was not inside there.. That should be even a tougher place to get water into...

Your Gear oil in the tranny had to have much more than JUST condensation in it , to turn ALL that lube to a creamy color...

IF you do short rides ALWAYS??? Start riding the bike for at least one FULL hour a week to allow the condensation built up to be boiled out..

Usually the motors (esp sportsters and softails) have the build-up of foam/condensation/combustion in their oil tanks, showing up as Foam and Moisture on top of the oil floating around and then causing the Dreadful sludge build up inside.

Heat and fully warming and getting HOT (from riding not Sitting still) is the KEY NEEDED thing...

SO; go use THAT ; "needs to be ridden for long rides" as a GOOD Excuse NEEDED to GO for the long ride....:D

signed....BUBBIE

Back