free website stats program How Cold can I go | Harley Davidson Forums

How Cold can I go

stevec314

Ok guys, I live in Middle Tn mild winters but hey I'm spoiled. I am going to see how far into winter I can ride. There are 2 other riders here at work so its a survival of the fittest.......or dumbest. I made it to November 2nd last year and I am going to try for December. I ride 17 miles each way mostly country roads. I have the 07 Ultra my competitors are a yamaha 650 Vstar and a Kawasaki ninja 600.

So far I have a fleece ski mask ( fullface ) leather gloves ( might want to get some deer skin ones ), good leather jacket, warm boots. Its still in the 80's here today but later in the week will be highs in the 60's lows in the 40's. If there are any notherners or canadians out there I would love to hear some " stay warm suggestions"

Steve

I ride year round here in Ga. My personal cut off tempature for riding to work is 40 degrees in the morning. By the time work is out it'll be nice.

Just put on a set of fairing lowers and haven't tried them yet in cold. Hope the cut off temp drops a few more degrees the all the $$$ the lowers cost. I figured with the money saved in gas the lowers should pay for themselves.

Well, since I live in the mildest climate in Canada out here on Vancouver Island, I could ride year round. However, I usually put the bike in the garage from mid Nov. to early Feb. My personal limit is between 32 and 35 degrees F. Below that it's just not fun anymore. I wear a Joe Rocket winter jacket, fleece shirt and leather vest and leather chaps. For boots I wear insulated, waterproof, police Tactical Boots. As far as gloves are concerned, I wear deerskin. About the only place I feel the cold is in my hands but it's not all that bad. If my face gets cold I just drop my faceshield and all is well.

Last season, I hung up riding at about 40 degrees. That's with no windshield and a half helmet and a fleece face mask. This year I got a windshield which goes on only for long trips or rides below 55 degrees. I'm gonna see how long I can hang this year....

Well Steve, here in Michigan I try to ride as long as possible. I have a 31 mile drive to work. So the cut line for me is 40 degrees. Anything lower gets just to darn cold when you come and go in the dark. As for keeping warm, leather jacket and usually a fleece underneath, chaps, good warm gloves, mask to cover nose to neck, and that about does it. If I make it to mid november i will be happy. Will put it up and break it back out March 1st and start stealing days here and there.

i am from Canada, have ridden cold, real cold.
key is layers.. tshirt,sweater,jacket,vest..
gloves then mittens..
face mask, faceshield, windshield..
jeans and chaps.. etc etc.

have a friend with a sidecar who would go all year.. in Montreal.
but he's really crazy :)

My wife and I rode to gatlinburg the first week of November last year. It was 31 degrees in the early morning hours. I was so freakin cold that when I came to a stop I would lay my hands on the motor but that did not help at all. That is when I learned that leather gloves without some kind of lining really didn't help that much. haha It was much better after we got out of the hills and were able to see the sun light.

Steve

Last year 30F was my limit on my Sporty. Full helmet and Gerbring heated gloves and jacket. No windshield or lower fairing. This year on my FLHR, with the windshield, I'll ride until the road conditions are unsafe.

Southern Ohio here, and I don't like to go out into anything below 36-40 deg.
Too much of a danger of Ice on the roads. I almost learned the hard way last year, left at 35 deg. at home, dropped down over the hill into the shade, and the entire road down by the stop sign was frosted over. I had to run the stop sign!

Here in Clagary I have been able to ride the bike every month this year, only need to be able to go out in Nov and December and then can say I rode all year around. Had some nice chinooks last year that cleared the roads. Have road 200 km + in each trip plus around town during last winter in temps as low as -10 Celsius or 14 F.

Had a full face fleece mask which I have replaced with a full face helmet (seems so far to be very warm). I layer up under the leather jacket and use a fleece liner under the leather pants. My hands stay pretty warm cause I bought a pair of cross country ski gloves that are both water and wind proof and provide me with good flexability. Dude said they were rated for 60 below. I work up north so I use a pair of really heavy wool socks in the boots and the feet stay pretty warm.

As long as the roads are clear these rides are really refreshing.

Hardest part was getting the bike out and up the alley, it was iced up pretty bad, kinda scary slipping and slidding until I got to the pavement. Hurray for kitty litter. If only they had tire chains for bikes.

Back