free website stats program How Cold can I go | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

How Cold can I go

Two years ago I was riding in 28F and got bronchitis. So now if it's under 32F I'll take the truck. Not that bad though, last year I dd not get to ride a little over two weeks.

Maybe I need to look into some heated glove or grips.

Tigg,

Your buddy----his name wouldn't be "DAVE (inPA)" would it?:s Sorry, couldn't resist.

I plan on riding thru the winter. Shouldn't be too bad here in NC. Only 7-8 miles from work. Mask & rain chaps came in the mail today from J&P. Tracy

Anytime the temp is below 40 degrees in the morning, you risk seeing ice on road sufaces that the sun hasn't hit yet, especially under an overpass.

I don't believe anyone has mentioned the worst part of winter riding; salt. Unless there has been some heavy rain to wash it away, the first salting is when I usually park my bike. In the northeast, some areas still use a salt/sand/cinder mix. Makes for a scary turn if you don't see it early enough.:11:

Anytime the temp is below 40 degrees in the morning, you risk seeing ice on road sufaces that the sun hasn't hit yet, especially under an overpass.

I don't believe anyone has mentioned the worst part of winter riding; salt. Unless there has been some heavy rain to wash it away, the first salting is when I usually park my bike. In the northeast, some areas still use a salt/sand/cinder mix. Makes for a scary turn if you don't see it early enough.:11:

I will still ride @ 45,IF there is no ice or salt on the road.I met an old biker who told me "if there's nothing coming out of the sky and nothing on the road - I'll ride". Sounds good to me.:57:

Here in Michigan it gets darn cold at night, but the ride home from work is beautful. Drive 15 miles one way, it was 38 degrees yesterday morning. I think that's as cold as I want to get. Leather gloves and good leather jacket, but I'm 55 years old so, the blood don't flow like it use to so my hands still get cold.

I know what you mean DDOGG. I just got home from a ride tonight and I have to say that this 54yr old body was alittle stiff. Sure can't complain though on how the 07 bagger runs. I would much rather ride in this weather than like it was for the 105th.

PA is cold and the roads are bad. I work till 11:30 at night and was a nice ride tonight at 30 degrees and about a 30 mile ride. I found that if you wear a leather jacket and just put on insulated coveralls along with ski mittens and a leather bandana I'm good to about 20. I also have a windshield and snap on lowers. As far as salt on the road I just ride the BMW so the HD can stay in the garage.

I agree, My FatBob loves the 50 to 60 degree weather. Don't get me wrong, I rode in August when it was 90 something. But the bike seems to love the cold. I wish I did.

ridin up here in new hampshire I found that when I layered my clothes i could ride right down to black ice time..33 degrees I gave up my leather for a hardcore sorrel raincoat..I ride 75 miles a day ..30 back roads..35 highway leather chaps, leather vest under fleece,balacava and leather kerchief all toped off by raincoat...ride on .....palerider

Back