free website stats program High beam, low beam at the same time | Harley Davidson Forums

High beam, low beam at the same time

Matt0987

I am thinking about having the low beam on with the high beam.

I have looked at the passing light detail to have the passing lights on with the high beam.

http://www1.hdtimeline.com/tn634s3.jpg

Essentially one simply disconnects the passing lights power feed from the low beam power feed and then takes the passing light power from the accessory circuit.

Now I am wondering how to have the low beam on when the hi beam is on. I do not like how you lose the low beam flooding the road immediately in front of the bike when the high beam is switched on.

I suppose I could do the same thing with the low beam as with the passing lights diagram. Simply disconnect the low beam feed and get the low beam power from the accessory circuit. By-passing the hi/low beam switch.

However, then I would be loading the accessory circuit with the passing lights and the low beam light. I would like to leave the accessory circuit available for other things. Such as my ham radio when I get it set up.

Is there a way to run the low beam and passing lights as they are now and simply have the hi/low switch turn off and on the hi beam so that the hi beam runs with the low beam and the passing lights? Keeping everything on the light circuit as it is now?

By the way Dads, Happy Father's Day !!!!!!!

Your idea is a novel one, BUT running both hi and low would cause excessive draw on the system and also generate a lot of heat too. Maybe consider a set of driving lights wired independently and only use them when needed at speed. You can wire them into the spair switch on your RK using the plug under the seat.

i put a pair of kuryakin small silver bullets on the stalk next to the turn signals. they come in 20w and 30w. i run these almost exclusively w/ the high beam in daylight and at night. i can run passing lamps and bullets at the same time but the lights do dim when at a traffic light. bullets are more focused beam than passing lamps and can be directed as you wish. wired them to an aux circuit on the rk police when i rewired it for civilian service.

Smitty, "Ditch Lights" what are you meaning or referencing ? What light or lamp is it please. Thanks Tim

Passing lamps, and or fog lamps mounted to engine guard. I liked the passing(SPOT) lights on my baggers they would light up both sides of the road at night, and if the low beam burned out they were good to get you home:s

Jack I have the passing lamps on the RK police and they must not be adjusted correctly or the headlight is not aimed properly , I don't see any benifit from these lights at all, I am also working on adding the engine gaurd fog lights and so far all those are doing is reflecting off the turn signals I have these lights leveled with a level, am thinking I should turn them down some and am looking to see if a visor has been made for them as well they are HD set. Tim

FRX181, Socket, Flare Nut, 9/16", 6-Point I have one of these left over for adjusting the passing lamps:s

Your idea is a novel one, BUT running both hi and low would cause excessive draw on the system and also generate a lot of heat too. Maybe consider a set of driving lights wired independently and only use them when needed at speed. You can wire them into the spair switch on your RK using the plug under the seat.

The heat might be an issue with conventional bulbs. However, I am now running the H-D LED headlight and passing lights. I do not know what the draw is but I was told by the parts man that they draw considerably less than the conventional bulbs. And, I would expect that they would be cooler than the conventional bulbs, also.

Perhaps someone here would know for sure.

So, how about my initial question. Anyone have an idea about how to do it?

Last edited by a moderator:
So, how about my initial question. Anyone have an idea about how to do it?

Matt, Are you working with a 2011 manual or wiring diagram. I can help you with the current demand issue, but you will definitely run into heat issues with the bulb. They just won't take that kind of heat. That's one of the reasons it does not come that way right from the factory.

I tried it years ago with a set of Lucas driving lights on a Sports Rally car. The bulbs lasted only a few hours running both elements. But as I said, I would be glad to help you wire it up if you have the schematics.

Matt, Are you working with a 2011 manual or wiring diagram. I can help you with the current demand issue, but you will definitely run into heat issues with the bulb. They just won't take that kind of heat. That's one of the reasons it does not come that way right from the factory.

I tried it years ago with a set of Lucas driving lights on a Sports Rally car. The bulbs lasted only a few hours running both elements. But as I said, I would be glad to help you wire it up if you have the schematics.

I just got a 2011 Touring service manual for Father's Day today !!!! Not the electrical trouble shooting manual. The service manual.

What about the fact that the lights I am currently running are LED? Not the HID. Do they not draw less and put out less heat than the OEM lights?

I do not want to melt a $500.00 light, that is for sure.

Back