free website stats program High beam, low beam at the same time | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

High beam, low beam at the same time

Myfirstharley,

Let me say that the instruction manual I got with my LED lights detail an adjusting procedure.

I believe it goes like this....

You place the bike upright on a lever surface some distance from a wall. I do not recall the distance. Perhaps 25 or 50 feet. Then you measure up from the ground to the center of the light fixture. Now, walk to the wall in front of the bike and put a mark at this same height. Adjust the lights to hit this same height. I do not recall. If I can find the paperwork with the actual procedure I will review it and let you know if any discrepencies here, in this thread.

I have taken a string and laid it parallel to the bike to give me an idea of where the center line of the beam should be. Then adjusted the beam for center.

COuldnt you install a horn stlye relay and power the relay up with a 12 volt source that is key controlled then run a power line from the battery to the relay then to the light switch so that they have power to the switch evrytime you turn the bike on? then it won,t be controlled by the low beam/high beam switch you could even intall a inline 15 amp fuse in the power line to the switch to protect? Just my 2 cents

Peace

I agree about the heat issue and melting parts. Don't ask me how I know.
The other issue is vehicles are not allowed to have both set of lights on at the same time and will not pass safety inspection.

What about the fact that the lights I am currently running are LED?

I am also running HD's LED headlight (part# 73273-11) but it is the 5 3/4" model, not the 7" as you have. On the back of my LED headlight there is a Very large finned heat sink that gives off considerable heat when the headlight is in use. The entire chrome headlight bucket gets warm just from this heat sink. I am pretty sure the heat sink was not designed to dissipate the heat given off when using BOTH Hi & Low beam at the same time. I would not be surprised if it toasts the headlight assembly when running both beams at the same time. Trust me when I say I like to experiment and go against mainstream,,, and I would not try it.:)

Now there is one part of all this I don't understand. When I switch from LOW beam to HIGH, I loose very little (almost none) of the low beam pattern. All High beam does is "shift up" the horizontal light cut off line. You can see further out but the width of the pattern remains virtually the same when on Low beam. Isn't that what happens to your headlight pattern?

Also, does your headlight happen to fog up a bit after extended use. If it does, I have a fix for it.!

COuldnt you install a horn stlye relay and power the relay up with a 12 volt source that is key controlled then run a power line from the battery to the relay then to the light switch so that they have power to the switch evrytime you turn the bike on? then it won,t be controlled by the low beam/high beam switch you could even intall a inline 15 amp fuse in the power line to the switch to protect? Just my 2 cents

Peace

My personal preference is to have as few as possible main switch operated lights on during engine start.

Back