free website stats program HID Headlight | Harley Davidson Forums

HID Headlight

franka

Want to install HID headlight on my 07 Road King Classic has anyone done this? If so what brand do you recommend? Any tips for installation? What to do and more importantly what not to do?

HID illumination is a bit spendy & glider has a gr8 "much cheaper" solution you might want to try. Look for his posting on osram bulbs - you & your pocketbook won't be sorry. For $12 - put one in my SG & it's like I'm staring at the sun.

If your really wanting HID and have deep pockets the 2010 HD catalog lists a kit to do it. Only comes in 7" so won't fit some models (Dyna).
Low beam is HID and high beam is filament bulb. Not cheap at almost $600 but it is available.
Don't even think about converting a standard enclosure to HID. It is not a simple bulb swap.

If you are going HID then get the whole thing. Stay away from the conversions as the optical requirements for halagon and HID are different. I run hotter bulbs and have not had to go HID. Have ridden with a guy with HID and just don't see that much difference. For less than $20.00 give the Glider method a try and see what you think.

I like the Osram bulbs too.

A word of caution about higher wattage bulbs. Higher wattage means higher temps inside the headlight reflector assembly. I recommend that you solder the electrical connections inside the headlight housing. Here are some helpful ideas: Unplug your old bulb. Make a diagram of which colors plug into each location in the plastic holder. Then remove the connectors from the plastic holder (you will need a small screwdriver to release tab that holds each connector in plastic holder). Cover everything on your bike that is below the solder area incase some solder drips off (a garage towel or two works pretty good). Solder the wires to the connectors (leave them crimped and just heat the connectors and add solder). Let the connectors cool. Carefully bend the tab that latches the connector into the holder back up a bit. Then insert the connectors back in place. Now you are ready to plug your higher wattage bulb into the connector.
Also make sure all other plug in connections in the headlight wiring are good and tight.
May sound like a lot, but really pretty fast and easy.

Some are saying the reflector needs to be replaced, can anyone tell me what I need and where to buy it? I'm going with Glider's suggestion and running the Orsam bulb.

If you are talking about your 07 RK, just get the bulb, nothing else has to be replaced.

You may have to snip a tab off that comes on some of the bulbs. Very easy to do but don't touch the glass in the bulb.

Thanks Glider, yes it is an 07 RK, going to order today, I'll post after installation. My main reason for wanting additional light is riding the canyon from Sturgis back to Deadwood at night, anyone who's ridden this road knows how dark it is!

Back