free website stats program Hi flow vs Stage1 | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Hi flow vs Stage1

I would think that the warranty carrier would have to show the failure or issue was a direct result of any upgrade done to the bike. Just thinking out loud.

I have recently started looking at them too since as you said the cat is bad news. Will putting new headers, stage 1 and a fueler hurt my warranty? Thx

Technically, the dealer can void your warranty if you remove the cats, bypass the O2 sensors, add an aftermarket fueler, add slip ons that are not Screaming Eagle, or even add a trailer hitch. Notice I said "technically". Its up to each dealer to decide. Yes, they would have to prove that your mods is what caused the problem in the first place, but in the mean time, your bike is down and you're going to have a huge hassle on your hands, if the dealer wants to be a butt head about the whole thing.

Technically, the dealer can void your warranty if you remove the cats, bypass the O2 sensors, add an aftermarket fueler, add slip ons that are not Screaming Eagle, or even add a trailer hitch. Notice I said "technically". Its up to each dealer to decide. Yes, they would have to prove that your mods is what caused the problem in the first place, but in the mean time, your bike is down and you're going to have a huge hassle on your hands, if the dealer wants to be a butt head about the whole thing.

Yup! That's the game.:s

makes me happy I got some good folks at the dealer to deal with.. a mans word actually means something around here

Man, you just don't know which way to turn. Have only done slip ons...no not screaming eagles and nothing else at this point. Was mainly wanting
to reduce the right side heat some. This 2014 is hotter than my 06 SG I do believe. It is unlikely I would go to the dealer I purchased from, others are closer. Hate to pay the dealer for stage one changes or putting a new header on, (warranty) when it can be done so easily and much cheaper on your own.

Man, you just don't know which way to turn. Have only done slip ons...no not screaming eagles and nothing else at this point. Was mainly wanting
to reduce the right side heat some. This 2014 is hotter than my 06 SG I do believe. It is unlikely I would go to the dealer I purchased from, others are closer. Hate to pay the dealer for stage one changes or putting a new header on, (warranty) when it can be done so easily and much cheaper on your own.

Lots of smart members here on the forum to walk you through your project if needed.:s

Thanks to all for input. My only concern is warranty hassles should it be needed. Cross that bridge should it come. Finishing up Stage 1 mods is next on the list.... air cleaner, fueler, and maybe headers to get rid of the cat. Again thanks your advice is most welcome and appreciated.

This might help when talking to the dealer about what you can do to your bike: FTC Validates Right to Install Aftermarket Parts | Specialty Equipment Market Association

The M_M Act has been in force for many years and, in rare cases, owners have actually been successful using it to solve warranty issues. However, if the situation has deteriorated to the point that an owner has to play the M_M card, things have gotten pretty nasty, lawyers are involved and bridges burned. The best approach to warranty issues is to establish a clear agreement with the dealer, not the service manager but the owner of the dealership, the circumstances under which they will work with a customer on warranty issues. JMHO.

Or you could do like I did. I bought a de-catted header on Ebay and kept my stock header and original mufflers. Kept my stock a/c and all the hardware. If I ever have a warranty issue that might be related to my Stage 1 install, I'll just put everything back to stock conditions, remove the Dobeck EJK, clear any codes that might have popped up that are related to the Stage 1, and take it back to the dealer for the warranty work. What they don't know won't hurt me :D. I was at the dealer not too long ago looking at some brand new Rhinehart slip ons. I asked one of the parts guys there if I bought them and put them on my bike, would it void my warranty. He told me it could if the problem was related to the mufflers. So they can sell you parts that can void your warranty??? Hmmm...... sounds pretty shady to me. :(

Back