Hi Everyone - Clutch problem

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Spoiler, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Spoiler

Spoiler New Member

Just bought my first HD a 2011 Ultra Limited!!!! Candy RootBeer
    Just One Problem when I start it in Gear clutch in she lurches forward some i had the clutch adjusted thinking i need to have it re adjusted agin i have about 4000 miles on her any thoughts?

2. dieselguy65

dieselguy65 Account Removed

i wouldn't start it in gear, ever. Neutral, with clutch lever released is only way i have ever started a bike.

3. tubguy

tubguy Active Member

Maybe I`m wrong but I don`t think I can start my 2010 Electra in gear...

4. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

I can say my 2008 does it from time to time. When 5,000 mile service done try Spectro primary oil. It will do wonders.

5. Redfish-Joe

Redfish-Joe Senior Member

6. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

Starting the bike in gear is tough on the running gear and the starter/starter clutch/pinion gear etc. I had a friend that always started his bike in gear untill the clutch cable broke while starting and he hit the back of a parked car. Did almost $1500 damage to his front end. He learned the hard way to always start the bike in neutral.

7. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

I'll squeeze my clutch in and start motor in LOW gear only when it is necessary: Like, Kills on a hill and both feet are needed to hold up the bike... You Know that Kind :small3d026:eek:f time when all else will fail.. QUICK after KILLING motor STARTING so as Not to be Killed..

signed....BUBBIE

8. srb59

srb59 Member

Amen brother to that. Been there. :)

9. harley@16

harley@16 Junior Member

I don't understand why it makes any difference to start in gear, with the clutch pulled aren't the gears separated from the drive train?

10. BUBBIE

BUBBIE Well-Known Member

TRY This,,,,,, Put your bike into LOW gear,,,, Squeeze the clutch handle to separate the clutch disc like you say..... THEN push the bike around on a flat level surface for about ten feet to get a feel while in Low Gear THEN Put it into NEUTRAL and do the same and NOW,,, Please report back here with YOUR findings..

signed....BUBBIE