free website stats program Help | Harley Davidson Forums

Help

129South

The wife and I were riding today and a strange thing happened. We came to an inersection and stopped. Her bike (09 FLSTC) began to make a sound as if the gears were grinding. We pulled over and began to inspect the problem. Noticed that it only does it with the clutch pulled all the way in. I assume clutch adjustment needed, however bike received 1000k service 60 miles ago. My bigger concern is that when I restarted the bike I pulled in the clutch,put the bike in nuetral and pressed the run switch and the bike started up from the run switch not the start switch. any ideas?

If it started up as soon as you moved the off/run switch to run then it sounds like the starter is "permanently" engaged. Did you try hitting the start switch a few times with the bike off to see if the switch is simply stuck? Something shorting out in the starter system causing the starter to engage all the time? Did you check for any DTC codes?

I tried hitting the switch while the bike is off just now and it started correctly, once bike was running it began to make the grinding sound again as if the starter was attempting to engage. It must be the switch. Thanks for your quick response and knowledge. The North Ga. Mountains are not much fun with a bike acting weird.

If her bike is a 2009, it should still be under warranty. Have the dealer fix it before it totally trashes her starter, if it hasn't already.

It sounds like the starter drive may be causing a problem with not retracting and is coming into contact with the ring gear from what you describe.

If it started up as soon as you moved the off/run switch to run then it sounds like the starter is "permanently" engaged. Did you try hitting the start switch a few times with the bike off to see if the switch is simply stuck? Something shorting out in the starter system causing the starter to engage all the time? Did you check for any DTC codes?

It sounds like the starter drive may be causing a problem with not retracting and is coming into contact with the ring gear from what you describe.

Yet another case where your explanation is so much more technical, factual, and helpful than my caveman version! :cheers

My replies are often short and too the point because of how many posts I reply to during the day. If I were to expand my replies to "well, if you were to remove the cover that exposes the....." I would never be able to get through the many hundreds of posts every day and deal with the knuckleheads that get the boot. :lolrolling

SO.... I'm not being curt, I'm just looking to get the point across with minimal words :s

Biggest problem on the forum is not enough information is given by the poster to assess the situation and many more posts are made trying to find out a few things to give an accurate evaluation of the problem and the repair needed.

SO.... I'm not being curt, I'm just looking to get the point across with minimal words :s

I wasn't implying this in any way. I'm just continuously amazed at how knowledgeable you are about ANY problem that's posted. You know the name of every part involved, how they all interact, which symptoms point to which defects.....I could go on and on but I won't. Thanks, Glider, for all that you do here!

You're right about posts with limited information. Must drive you crazy how many times you have to answer to, "Help, my bike is making a funny noise!"

Back