free website stats program help running out of money and answers | Harley Davidson Forums

help running out of money and answers

jessica

I love my bike but I keep having a problem with idle and torque. I have rebuilt carb., replaced clutch, replaced all seals and gaskets on heads, adjusted clutch cable, adjusted choke. I dont use the choke any more than needed to start. I dont ride hard on the bike as the last (EDIT) to have it put crazy wrong parts. Was a good deal to start but is starting to cost more than its worth. PLEASE any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Not a mechanic but can read and understand HD and clymer books also have access to professional tool set.

It has been suggested "jetting" not sure what that is (compression between piston and exhaust?) She back fires now all the time now but- plugs are not fouled???? HELP PLEASE.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Welcome to THE forum Jessica. No language policy here. Tell us more about the bike and what EXACTLY it is doing and when it is doing it. The more accurate the information the better we can help. Lots of help here too. So tell us about the bike, whats been done, and what it is doing.

Bodeen

I love my bike but I keep having a problem with idle and torque. I have rebuilt carb., replaced clutch, replaced all seals and gaskets on heads, adjusted clutch cable, adjusted choke. I dont use the choke any more than needed to start. I dont ride hard on the bike as the last (EDIT) to have it put crazy wrong parts. Was a good deal to start but is starting to cost more than its worth. PLEASE any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Not a mechanic but can read and understand HD and clymer books also have access to professional tool set.

It has been suggested "jetting" not sure what that is (compression between piston and exhaust?) She back fires now all the time now but- plugs are not fouled???? HELP PLEASE.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Welcome to the forum Jessica. "Jetting" is adjusting the carburetor air and fuel mixture to the place your engine likes it best. Most carbs. have low speed and high speed jetting circuits that are separate, but overlap each other. As your bike is an '87 and you state that wrong parts were on the bike, we need to know what is on there now (if possible). A 24 year old Harley has had many opportunities to be treated to all kinds of mismatched parts. Let us know by description and/or pictures what is where. Like exhaust, mufflers, carb., etc. Ask around and see if there is a reputable independent Harley shop in your area. Go to some bike nights and find the old "greybeard" that has forgotten more about Sportsters than most could ever hope to know, and ask him what is stock and what is not. It may take a while, but patience, perseverance and the good members here usually get things sorted out. AND we end up with new friends.
Yea, what Bodeen said, he types faster than me.

Last edited:
883 1987 stock pipes no fancy stuff. While in daytona had robinsons adjust clutch gained more torque. was happy get back to pa bike sits for 2 weeks ride to and from work couple of blocks. last weekend head out for all day trip problems really noticable. on highway- 3rd to 4th no change in power output, can hear motor winding out -shift 4th- motor noise good but no more output. Bike will get upto high end 4th gear speeds but has to build upto it. Now the same is happening in lower gears. Hear gear windout -shift- no torque.
2nd major problem... (Adjusted idle to proper rpm) city riding she now back fires constantly. just prior to back fire rpm bounces wildly, she tries to cut out but now I gas it to force backfire. She has cut out on me doing 55mph for a length for no apparent reason.(meaning no quick changes in throttle or temp., etc.) same with this wild rpm reading just prior.

again i love my bike but i also dont want her to kill me:)

thank you will go over remaining parts tonight to see if stock or not- since i ve pretty much seen them all on the floor of my buddies shop it shouldnt take long to figure out what i havent touched yet. (if i had to clean, replace, rebuild i have. So in the process removed/replaced for stock parts.)

will get back to you again thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
One problem at a time. Is the bike new to you? has it always had this torque issue? When did it start doing it? How many miles on it? It sounds like the clutch is not right.

Bodeen

Glider types twice as fast as Breeze and me together!

no bought her 2008 end of season. Replaced clutch over that winter. Yes it has always been a problem- I assumed it was me since i hadn't rode anything more than a dirt bike. My friends with 30+ yrs riding said the clutch was not slipping. But it has gotten worse over last season. (bike was stored indoors for winter this year)

milage not too sure. papers say close 15,000 but when i bought it there was no odo cable.

So, in your opinion. The clutch isn't slipping? Maybe you just have a carb issue but I'm having trouble understanding. When the motor rpm's go higher does the bike move with the rpm increase?

Bodeen

A lot of stuff going wrong here backfiring could be caused by a lot of things but contaminated fuel whether it is bad or picking up dirt from the tank or dirt in the carb could cause this as could incorrect ignition timing
as to lack of power in the higher gears i think perhaps all the issues are related
start by cleaning out the tank including the screen at the fuel tap then on to the carb

Brian

Silly question, but does it have points??? I'm not sure when they finally got rid of those, but my '82 Sporty had points and when they weren't set right or just went bad, it would act like you're describing.

Just for grins have the pick up assembly looked at I have seen the mechanisms go bad causing loss of power and back firing:s

Back