free website stats program help running out of money and answers | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

help running out of money and answers

883 1987 stock pipes no fancy stuff. While in daytona had robinsons adjust clutch gained more torque. was happy get back to pa bike sits for 2 weeks ride to and from work couple of blocks. last weekend head out for all day trip problems really noticable. on highway- 3rd to 4th no change in power output, can hear motor winding out -shift 4th- motor noise good but no more output. Bike will get upto high end 4th gear speeds but has to build upto it. Now the same is happening in lower gears. Hear gear windout -shift- no torque.
2nd major problem... (Adjusted idle to proper rpm) city riding she now back fires constantly. just prior to back fire rpm bounces wildly, she tries to cut out but now I gas it to force backfire. She has cut out on me doing 55mph for a length for no apparent reason.(meaning no quick changes in throttle or temp., etc.) same with this wild rpm reading just prior.

again i love my bike but i also dont want her to kill me:)

thank you will go over remaining parts tonight to see if stock or not- since i ve pretty much seen them all on the floor of my buddies shop it shouldnt take long to figure out what i havent touched yet. (if i had to clean, replace, rebuild i have. So in the process removed/replaced for stock parts.)

will get back to you again thanks

FWIW What type of oil are you running Jessica? One with friction modifiers? That can be found on the back of the bottle in the API circle if it does. It will be missing if it doesnt..just a thought

FWIW What type of oil are you running Jessica? One with friction modifiers? That can be found on the back of the bottle in the API circle if it does. It will be missing if it doesnt..just a thought

Good point to bring up and after re reading the information you added, was the clutch adjusted on a COLD motor because that could be causing the slippage or loss of torque you are mentioning at speeds. The other problem with drivability sounds like either an intake leak or improper jetting. Do you have any info on the jet sizes when you rebuilt the carb?

Good point also Glider says... I'd SUGGEST

USE HD's Formal+ in the primary and tyranny,,,,,, That is what is needed....

Now back to the runability problem...

The intake manifold could be leaking and since you say it has run this way for a long time and getting worse, I'd be checking Dirty conditions like suggested in other post.. Sitting a long time builds up crud in the fuel tank.. GOTTA BE Clean and New gas to run right..

Also Short rides are Hard on any bike,,, Building up water and other problems ,,,, A Long ride once a week would do your bike and YOU a great deal of good....

Carb probably needs to come apart and together for Removing built up varnish..

If the bike can run enough to run a cleaner Like Seafoam thru it That MIGHT help....TRY LOOKING into the gas tank,,,,,using a Flashlight would Help tell IF Rusty and dirt is there.. get back with that please...

More opinions coming...

signed....BUBBIE

Just for grins have the pick up assembly looked at I have seen the mechanisms go bad causing loss of power and back firing:s
sounds to me like its's running out of fuel in the upper rpms. pull the petcock and see if the screen is clear. if that is good, i'd see about the jetting

Back