HELP PLEASE -Water in Air Cleaner

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by MarkS, Jul 21, 2013.

1. MarkS

MarkS Member

Got rain on my open ac filter and on the way home bike started puttering. What should I do besides clean and re-oil filter?

2. MarkS

MarkS Member

Thank you Tank. I'm ordering a rain sock right now!!

3. MarkS

MarkS Member

It just sputtered a little and would only last a couple of seconds then back to normal but all the way home which was ten miles. I pulled and cleaned the air filter and it had moisture in it as well as around the base where it seats. Cleaned it good and have it drying now. Tomorrow I'll oil it let it set for about 20 minutes before installing on my bike. Should I pull the plugs and check for moisture?

I ordered a rain sock as well from j&p cycles. Man.....$47.00 for sock and shipping!! Oucccchhh!

4. MarkS

MarkS Member

Very expensive! But, it's cheaper than hurting my baby!!!

5. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

No worries about some rain going through your intake...drag racers inject water into their motor(s) for added HP. The sputtering was probably your scoot wanting "more throttle." :s

6. doctor727

doctor727 Active Member

Just a quick thought here. Check your plug wires for any form of cracking or dirt buildup. That could cause a sputtering in the rain as well. Spark being shorted to ground. Also, put some di-electric grease on the connections to help seal out water.

7. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

Good call Dr. Sometimes the problem is not always the obvious.

8. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

If your bike ever stalls out fron TOO much water, remove the plugs, ground them and turn the engine over to push out any extra water, if the engine just sputters you will be OK

9. MarkS

MarkS Member

It's running 1000% better but has one little sputter around 3050 rpm for a second then once at around 3400. Very minor but I can tell. Bikes new just 2000 miles so not sure about cracked plug wires. What could this be??

10. MarkS

MarkS Member

Ok on the way home this evening it started sputtering again bad and no rain so????