free website stats program Help me spend some Money $$$ | Harley Davidson Forums

Help me spend some Money $$$

Bud White

Retired Moderators
Help me spend some Money $$$ on Shocks

Going to change the shocks on my 08 RKC the Stock Harley ones just don't get it done esp 2 up

I'm a large fellow at 6'0" about 325 .. trying to decide do i go with the

Progressive 412 Coil overs

Progressive Suspension

Or the 416 Air Shocks ?

Progressive Suspension

Like to hear Opinions one way or the other for either..

Last edited:
I have air shocks on mine (they are the HD shocks, but that doesn't matter), and what I like is the ability to adjust the ride based on who is riding on the bike. With just a few stokes on the little air pump, I can handle Momma and me, or bleed off the air when it is just me so the ride is not too stiff.

TQ

IIf you decide on the 412 series,at the weight you are looking to carry you might want to check in there heavier rated springs , I ride with the 440 ias series with the stock rated springs being 180lbs and no passangers and it is one the best upgrades Ive done to date

My vote goes toward air shocks,as was said above,take your litlle pump with you and pump them up according to wieght ,terrain and how much your wife buys while your on your trip:s

Well i emailed progressive and thsi si what they sent me back so wow you recommended the most expensive shock ya sell why am i not surprised but other with it didnt help much what do you guys think
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the best ride I would recommend looking into our 440 series in 13.0 inch HD black. This shock is our best option for you and a touring style ride. As for the 412-416 the coil shocks provide less give in the rear and I feel a better handling ride. The air shock is a great option for a rider whose weight carried varies a lot.

Had air shocks on a touring bike I had years ago, they would get my vote as they will give you the versatility you require.

Bud, now you know the crux of the matter...Air Shocks are very versatile and very expensive, but one other thing, complexity (if with integral pump) and no recovery if the internal air bladder ruptures. The materials and quality have improved, hence the cost.

Progressive Extra HD Coil Over Shocks not as versatile and 1/2 the cost, and possible catastrophic failure is very unlikely for the life of the product. Preload and dampening rates are manually adjusted, so will take 5 minutes or so, once you know what your settings are for 2-up riding. So it all boils down to what you feel comfortable with and how often you ride two-up on the fly. Love this country that we always have choices!

WEll ill toss another thing in the mix i been talking with Glider about draining the oil and refilling with a heavier weight

That is the other HALF of the bike, we were NOT talking about but as our wise sage said...new springs and oil go in there too, may also look at Progressives' Gold Valve if you want to control the rebound dampening as well...it is a soft science needing lots of experienced help to sort it all out.

Back