free website stats program Helmets... do you wear one or no? and why? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Helmets... do you wear one or no? and why?

I live in Texas, and in this State you are free to choose to wear one or not. Since '96, I have been riding without a helmet. On May 6th, I was in an accident with a cage that was going the wrong way on the HOV. When the SUV in front of me swerved to miss the on-coming car, that uncovered me and left me exposed. According to the police, on impact I was ejected from my bike and went left while the bike went right. The bike ended up under the back of the SUV. I ended up in the hospital.

I was VERY lucky. Apparently I was trying to swerve right (based on skid marks) and that probably avoided a full front end impact. But I still hit the pavement and banged up my head. A bunch of stitches closed all that up, and I was super lucky that there was no serious closed head injury.

So now I am recuperating slowly. Have a ways to go, but think I am making progress.

When I get another bike on the road, I will be wearing some sort of helmet. This will be MY choice. Everyone else is free to make THEIR choice where they have that option.

Cheers,

TQ

i wear one because it's the law where i live, but as soon as i get in a state that's helmetless i take it off. i'm a adult and don't need someone telling me what to do. to many laws on the books now. most of the people making these don't even ride.

(1) Because my wife demands it (100% FF lid when the wheels roll).

(2) Show your buddy this article...(warning graphic)...Motorcyclist survives after biking into back of 18-wheeler - DEW Blogs

I don't believe he survived at all. Why would they be taking pictures of the scene instead of tending to this guy if he was alive?.........
I wear a helmet at all times, no matter what state I am in, or what the law is. My choice. Motorcycling is more dangerous now because of increased traffic, cell phones, etc. Anything we can do to lessen the danger is a good idea. Sure, it may be a bit of a hinderance, but IF it saves us and let's us live another day and make another ride, that's a good thing.
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I was curious if anyone on here has ever been hit in the head by a rock while riding...

One (rock) hit my windshield the other day riding home from work coming off of a Buick. Was rare for me to have the windshield on but I was very thankful on this day I did. Sounded like a bullet hitting.

I usually wear a half helmet. Why not all the time? Because I don't have to.

This is purely my opinion, but instead of wanting to force everyone to wear helmets, government should be looking at ways to reduce collisions involving motorcycles, this would require banning the use of handheld devices by drivers and increased motorcycle awareness training.

I live in Kentucky; there are no helmet law requirements. However, I do wear a helmet 99% of the time for only one reason: I don't know in advance whether or not a helmet would have saved me.

One other thing I wanted to add is that it doesn't bother me one way or the other if folks don't wear helmets. I really don't want to sound negative towards anyone. To each his own and may we all enjoy the ride now matter what we choose to wear (or not).

Around town I never wear my helmet. When ever I go out on the open road I wear my 3/4 helment, it helps with bugs and road grit. I also wear glasses and the type I have anything above 55 mph they vibrate so bad because they are light it makes it hard to see. I don't like wearing it but couldn't stand the view with out it.

On August 9, 2009, at 1236 there was a post on this topic titled “First ride without a helmet” With minor modifications, this is what I replied.

The first time I rode without a helmet was the evening of July 16, 2006, in Cody, Wyoming. I had left Vernal, Utah that morning, after a trip from Virginia and gone up through the Grand Teton and Yellowstone parks. I came out of Yellowstone at the east entrance/exit. It was the worst piece of dug up, gravel road I have ever had the misfortune to ride on. I checked into the Western Six-Gun Motel and asked the fella behind the desk where I could get a decent meal. He directed me to Cassie’s Supper Club. After seeing so many riders without helmets, I thought I’d give it a try. Bugs hit me in the face and the wind blew around my glasses causing my eyes to water. Fortunately I didn’t have to go far. I don’t know how riders do it at highway speeds. That was my first and last time helmetless. When I first started riding in 1968, a helmet was “House Rules”, not state law as it is now. One afternoon I was riding my Ducati 160 to work when a lady headed south didn’t see me headed north and turned left into me. Her right headlight shredded my left knee. My left leg was broken and something punctured my ankle. I landed on my noggin and the helmet was gouged through the outer shell. Ten days later I was released from the hospital, but it took another several months before I could go back to school. It took a couple of years for the smallest specks of glass the doctor didn’t get out of my knee to make their way to the surface. Without the helmet, I wouldn’t be tellin’ this story. I have no problem with helmets being a matter of choice, I just happen to choose to wear one along with gloves, boots and a leather jacket.

Back