Heat (crossover pipe)

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by thomas123, Mar 29, 2010.

1. thomas123

thomas123 Member

The back side of my right knee has an "ictch" problem. And the heat cvoming from the crossover pipe is way too much. Question - If I go to a two pipe system - without the cvrossover - will this solve the right side heat problem. Anyone done this ?? Thanks...

2. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

yes it does solve it and yes i have done it

3. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

Same as Bud, true duels will solve the right leg heat problem. Put them on my RG, no longer a heat problem. Also put the oil cooler on and dropped the summer riding temp by 18 to 25*.

4. Slowrider

Slowrider Active Member

Bud and Don have it right, True Duals will solve this and I like the look too :D :D

5. Troy1225

Troy1225 Active Member

If you don't wish to change the header pipes, you could try heat deflectors.
    Click on the "NO MORE FRIED THIGHS" at the top of the page.

6. spartacus55

spartacus55 Active Member

ditto on the tru duals also installed oil cooler and had a richer map minstaloled i can ride my bike 50-75 miles round town on a 90+ day and the hottest my bike gets is 230 degrees farenheit.

7. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

i forgot about the oil cooler to and syth oil

8. Joe2007ultra

Joe2007ultra Active Member

The heat shields help I had them on my 2007, But the true duals are the cure like the other guys said

9. glimmerman

glimmerman Active Member

i went the cheap way on my rk. i took a 1-5/8 core plug and put it in the right side pipe just below the joint of the pipes. drilled a 1/4 in. hole straight thru and tig welded it in place with the crown facing up to the rear cylinder. factory pipes and true duals. dealer said i would lose mid range power but it runs fine.

10. Roaddawg1968

Roaddawg1968 New Member

Here is a list of what I did on my 07 FLHTC:
    Syn. Oil
    Oil Cooler
    Heat Shields
    Rinehart True Duels w/SE stag 1 and SERT - made the biggest difference

About the only other thing you could do is put on a larger cap. oil pan. I think Baker makes one.