free website stats program Heat (crossover pipe) | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Heat (crossover pipe)

I run Vance & Hines true duels and I love them ! Each side of the V&H true duels are a complete pipe they are not a pieced together exhaust system so there are no splices in the exhaust pipe or the heat shield , they have a clean look . True duels is the best way to take care of your heat issues .

I must be lucky, I've not noticed this as being an issue on my 2010 Ultra Limited. I have the power duals from V&H installed and the heat has not been an issue at all.

I have an 07 UC with stock pipes that I just had ceramic coated. One other point to think about is weather.

I don't know when and where you ride but it gets cold here in MD and while I don't like the heat by my legs in the summer, I like it in the winter, especially at at stop light. I haven't purchased them yet for mine, but two of the rental HD's I have used had the heat shields on them, and they seemed to be a pretty good effective compromise that is pretty light on the wallet.

Question for the gurus:
How does adding an oil cooler change the exhaust gas temp at the cross over pipe? I can see it lowering the oil temp slightly and thus the overall heat of the engine, slightly, but that would seem to be a contribuatory amount of heat to the over all heat felt from the exhaust pipe and the engine itself combined. But (and I don't know the acutal temps of exhaust) I wouldn't think I could perceive the diffenece between 700F and 720F. Hot is hot at that point.:34::34:

True duals, K&N air filter, fuel management device or software, and if you change the cams it will cool down more. Taking the lowers off will help too. I've been thinking of adding a propeller to the front of the bike...:s

Thorns

The back side of my right knee has an "ictch" problem. And the heat cvoming from the crossover pipe is way too much. Question - If I go to a two pipe system - without the cvrossover - will this solve the right side heat problem. Anyone done this ?? Thanks...
I installed the Kurlarkin heat deflectors on my 08 road glide it stopped the heat problem for $35.00 instead of $1000.00 for new exhaust. It does work I also installed them on a freind ultr.

Same as Bud, true duels will solve the right leg heat problem. Put them on my RG, no longer a heat problem. Also put the oil cooler on and dropped the summer riding temp by 18 to 25*.

What oil cooler r u using?

The back side of my right knee has an "ictch" problem. And the heat cvoming from the crossover pipe is way too much. Question - If I go to a two pipe system - without the cvrossover - will this solve the right side heat problem. Anyone done this ?? Thanks...
My first change was a powercomander and a K&N air kit. That made a significant reduction in heat and a better running bike. Then i added a 2-1 pro pipe and got better still; using the thunderheader map from dynojet, much cooler and faster, better all around bike. Added a glide-pro too 4 handling(that was first). True duels will cool it the most. Either way, replace the cross-over and get a fuelpack, SERT, powercomander, etc. and an air kit with the new pipe. The bike needs more fuel and air to cool it off. You wont regret it. Another option to cool your bike is a WB02 sensor. And, switch to synthetic oil. Good luck.

I have an 07 UC with stock pipes that I just had ceramic coated. One other point to think about is weather.

I don't know when and where you ride but it gets cold here in MD and while I don't like the heat by my legs in the summer, I like it in the winter, especially at at stop light. I haven't purchased them yet for mine, but two of the rental HD's I have used had the heat shields on them, and they seemed to be a pretty good effective compromise that is pretty light on the wallet.

Question for the gurus:
How does adding an oil cooler change the exhaust gas temp at the cross over pipe? I can see it lowering the oil temp slightly and thus the overall heat of the engine, slightly, but that would seem to be a contribuatory amount of heat to the over all heat felt from the exhaust pipe and the engine itself combined. But (and I don't know the acutal temps of exhaust) I wouldn't think I could perceive the diffenece between 700F and 720F. Hot is hot at that point.:34::34:

I installed the heat shields first b4 i did any work , and they do help but dont address the direct cause of the heat. My 08 streetglide is known 4 heat

Last edited by a moderator:
factory pipes are very restrictive with the H-pipe"cross-over" Just get a FULSAC crossover eliminator,Then you will have true duals. Much coolerand you can see more of your motor!!!!I love mine...............Sounds better too

Back