free website stats program HD oil cooler install question | Harley Davidson Forums

HD oil cooler install question

R_W_B

Well got the cooler fins section of my new HD oil cooler all bolted on now that my new motor mount came in and got it installed.
Went to finish up and install the oil filter adaptor and discovered the screw in adaptor was larger than any hex in my toolbox.
So jumped in the truck and went to H.F. , 3 auto parts stores, and then Sears but struck out at all 3. Seems 7/16" is the size the sets choose to leave out, and the largest single anybody in town sells is 3/8".
Came home went online and found one set at Amazon that includes the 7/16", in a socket set which is good since I can torque it. But was really hoping to ride tomorrow.
Where did you guys get this particular scarce item ?
And what size am I going to need to adjust my clutch?

<.. ..> clutch needs a 11/16 open end or a gear ratchet type socket you can stick an allen through.
1/2 open end and 9/16 open end for cable adjuster.
here watch this
Clutch Adjustment Video - Harley Davidson Community

Thanks, that is the second video I have seen on this. It would appear that torguing the lock nut is not as important as the HD manual says.

Also would like your input on the fact that I had already put a thin coat of gasket "sealant" (not gasket goop etc, just sealent) on the gasket before realizing I did not have the tool. It's a tacky type solution, spreads thin, I put the adaptor and the gasket (on it) in a large plastic bag to try and keep it from drying out. Wondering how all that is going to play out when I finally get the tool. If it leaks I guess I will have to order a gasket kit from zanottis and wait even longer. Boy this one caught me off guard.

Also I am heading out (late start this Sat. morn) to try a few more tool places. If I strike out there, a poster on another forum told me he used a 7/16" head size bolt with several nuts red loctited on it inline. So I will try that if can't find the tool.

Well got the cooler fins section of my new HD oil cooler all bolted on now that my new motor mount came in and got it installed.
Went to finish up and install the oil filter adaptor and discovered the screw in adaptor was larger than any hex in my toolbox.
So jumped in the truck and went to H.F. , 3 auto parts stores, and then Sears but struck out at all 3. Seems 7/16" is the size the sets choose to leave out, and the largest single anybody in town sells is 3/8".
Came home went online and found one set at Amazon that includes the 7/16", in a socket set which is good since I can torque it. But was really hoping to ride tomorrow.
Where did you guys get this particular scarce item ?
And what size am I going to need to adjust my clutch?

S K, Snap On, Mac, or Matco will have what you need:s

Like Jack says,,, wave down any tool truck you see on the road.

On a hex size that large (7/16) you could take a strip of tin off a can and wrap it around a 3/8 and just tap it square with a hammer. Your only going to use it 1 time on 1 hex head bolt. I have done it in a bind and it is not a big deal to to make and it works.

Like Jack says,,, wave down any tool truck you see on the road.

On a hex size that large (7/16) you could take a strip of tin off a can and wrap it around a 3/8 and just tap it square with a hammer. Your only going to use it 1 time on 1 hex head bolt. I have done it in a bind and it is not a big deal to to make and it works.

Jim, if u find a bolt that fits u can bend it with some heat or double nut it and stick it in the allen and use it a few times in a pinch:s

Jim, if u find a bolt that fits u can bend it with some heat or double nut it and stick it in the allen and use it a few times in a pinch:s

Now that is a Great idea. And if all you can find is a larger head, just grind the flats of a larger bolt on a bench grinder until it fits. With that size of a hex, it does not have to be perfect to work.
For something you only need one time it will be fine.

Great idea Jack...:)

Now that is a Great idea. ......... Great idea Jack...:)

Jim, if u find a bolt that fits u can bend it with some heat or double nut it ..........

Well went 4 more places today, even NAPA, just don't have that one. So I ordered a set with it from Amazon but in the meantime I bought a grade 8 bolt 1" long, (and 5 nuts) with a head the size of the hex adapter. Put some red loctite on the threads and screwed 3 nuts all the way on then backed them off just enough to all line up with the bolt head. I let this set up for an hour. Then I put more red loctite on the end of the bolt and put the last two nuts on the end but tightened them hard against each other with two open end wrenches. It was already getting late so I came in since I have no lights in the garage.
Tomorrow I will put a socket on this and install the adapter to torque specs.
I still have the cooler filter adapter sitting in a plastic bag, the gasket sealant I had already put on it before I realized, is still tacky. I think it will be ok once I torque it on. It is just a thin coat. It's sealant not gasket goop.
If it leaks I will have to order another gasket kit (#12056-05) from Zanottis' and wait for it.

Now that is a Great idea. And if all you can find is a larger head, just grind the flats of a larger bolt on a bench grinder until it fits. With that size of a hex, it does not have to be perfect to work.
For something you only need one time it will be fine.

Great idea Jack...:)

Thanks Hoop, been cheating for years, kind of know how to make things work in a pinch, I learned from who I think was the best MY Dad, if he needed a tool he would make it being a tech all his life he taught me a lot of valuable tricks and I hope to share them with you all, Jack:s

I used a small block Chevy header bolt and just double nutted it so I could torque it.
The bolt head fit perfectly in the adapter screw. Any auto parts place will have a set of these headder bolts cheap!
Put a large washer between the nuts to keep the bolt head from going in too far.

Back