free website stats program HD 1st 4th Quarter loss in 16 years | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

HD 1st 4th Quarter loss in 16 years

Everyone's taking it in the shorts w/today's economy. Agree w/the CEO questions on salary, bonus, etc... Would be nice to see Mr. Olin's forecast w/possible salary/bonus cut (his) until things clear.

We'll see how next Qtr fares & I bet HD bounces back quickly - they've been a solid business for many years & made it through worse.

Yeah it would be a real kick in the shorts if harley was forced to move because of poor decisions made by greedy ceo and even greedier politicians

Nobody has really mentioned about auto workers making too much money and having to many benifits, and causing the poor econemy but if they did I would defend them. When auto workers are working, everybody is working and are spending money. Don't forget that there are 10 spin off jobs for every auto worker.
Harley is not in the position that it was in the 90's when there was a waiting list to buy a new bike. I think it is about time for them to realize that there are other options available
kemo

Nobody has really mentioned about auto workers making too much money and having to many benifits, and causing the poor econemy but if they did I would defend them. When auto workers are working, everybody is working and are spending money. Don't forget that there are 10 spin off jobs for every auto worker.
Harley is not in the position that it was in the 90's when there was a waiting list to buy a new bike. I think it is about time for them to realize that there are other options available
kemo

Agreed!!...The UAW workers are just scrutinized about the amount money and benefits they receive...when they should be used as the standard for wages and benefits for every job...Mr.CEO would not take one of his own jobs and work for the wages and benefits that are being forced on the working man all in the name of more profits and CEO bonuses. Companies used to look at their workers as assets to the company...now they are looked at as liabilities...:(

Wow. I think you guys are right on target. It's hard to begrudge someone for wanting to make as much money as they can but, CEO compensation in many corporations is way out of hand. This is compounded in these hard times. I don't see any fix to that problem unless "regular" stock holders get a bigger voice in exec. compensation packages.....IMO, fat chance.

As far as the MOCO goes, I hate to see cut backs because of the effects it has on those layed-off. However, I have no sympathy for Harley just because we can now buy a new bike for less than MSRP. The dealers and the MOCO had no sympathy for us when we were paying MSRP or above for their products.

I am concerned that quality in Haley's products is becoming an issue as they try and cut costs.

Whenever the economy is in the toilet the first thing we tighten up on is recreation. Got to take care of the bills and obligations before you buy that new bike or take time off or commit $$'s for the big road trip. It's not just the bikes, my step-son owns a marina and boat sales are way down, too. He says that the banks just aren't lending money. Customers can't get a loan. We bailed them out, now they tightened up the strings. Funny how they went from giving loans to people they new couldn't pay it back (gov't insured) to making it difficult if not impossible to get a loan for responsible buyers. The answer is simple but very difficult, no bail outs, no stimulus packages, no gov't aide. PUT PEOPLE TO WORK! People don't want to be laid off, given temperary aide or be stimulated. That want a job, work to support their families and communities. Just like it used to be before companies became global and moved 100,000's of jobs to China.
Enough whinning, I got a headache. time for a nap.

I'd hate to see Harley move to Mexico. I've been in the manufacturing biz now for over 30 years as a gear and gage designer. Over the last couple years alot our our BIG customers have moved to Mexico. Magna PowerTrain, American Axle, Dana, Eaton to name a few. Either to break the unions as in the case of American Axle, or lower wages, big manufacturing in this country in say 10 years will be no more. We will be a service country.

Go into a Harley dealer a pull any thing up from t-shirts to add on parts & check and see where they are made , if you find something that is made in the USA fill me in because I can,t find anything . The problem with the people in this country is they jump around and wave their arm shouting support our troops ( and that is great ) but they DO NOT support the AMERICAN WORKER and that is just as if not more important as supporting the troops . Supporting the American Worker is Supporting AMERICA as whole & until we the people change the way we think the American economy & way of life is DOOMED JMO . It is pretty sad that when you stop at a red light you see more import cars the American made cars & it seems to be a 10 to 1 ratio & if you can find a American Flag that is made in the USA let me know .

Only auto company NOT owned by the goverment is doing ggod and paying their workers. HMMMM
My new car will be a Ford after 40 years of GM products
I agree with you on that one Smitty, as much as my husband and I would love to go buy a new camaro, it is really hard for me to support Government Motors. I will keep the mustang for the time being. :s

Though the Silverado does ride nice. :) (Bought before the bail out of course)

Back