free website stats program Having problems with heated grips.... | Harley Davidson Forums

Having problems with heated grips....

I have a 2004 Electra Glide Classic with heated grips that aren't working. I was told that if they were Harley Davidson grips, they often stop working
(for no apparent reason) and the only solution is to get new ones. I checked the fuses in the panel and there does not appear to be any that are blown. They have the dial on the side (left handle bar grip) on the end that goes from "OFF" to "6." Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cool Hand(s) Luke

Best to check for power up near the grip itself. They do have a habit of going bad especially when water is in the equation.

I agree with the heated glove. Much better than just the palm of your hand warm, besides, the palm is the last place to get cold, the back of your hand takes a beating with the heated grips unlike the gloves.

I had the same problem. The problem was a result of water in the left grip. I almost guarantee that if you remove the left grip it is probably full of water.

My grips were only 4 mos. old when they failed. Contacted the dealer and they gave me a new set at no charge.

Thanks Fatboy07NH. I'll pull them off and check them out. I'll send a shot back reporting what I find. Did they happen to say why the grip was so easy to fill with water? Seems like a fault in the design. This only promotes "fair weather" riding...LOL!

All tehy said was it's a known problem ???? Not sure what that means. My Lady has had the same grips on here bike for 2 seasons and has not had any problems.

When I install the new ones I am going to put a bead of clear silicone at the end of each grip. Hopefully this solves/prevents the problem from re-occurring. Time will tell.

Good luck.

I have a 06 SE ultra and the factory heated grips stopped working. only 10k miles. The mechanic said wiring in left grip shorted out, probably water. he put the grip back together and i will get heated gloves also. With grips at $200+. Gloves are cheaper.

Back