free website stats program Hauling bike in back of pickup. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Hauling bike in back of pickup.

The cable connections would be the weakest link. As I work with aircraft cable everday 1/8 , 1/4 and 3/8 diameter cable, for example an 1/8 inch aircraft cable is rated for 15,000 lbs of continuous tension. If, and I don't know if truck cables are aircraft rated, most on trucks are 3/8 inch.

The cables that are on your garage door going up to your torsion assembly where the spring are on your door are aircraft rated. Hence, take it from a professional, don't mess with the cables/springs/ pull plates, on your garage door!

So, it's good advise to make sure the cables aren't rusty or frayed on your truck.
I don't have any quams about rolling my bike across the tailgate on my '05 F-150, but I don't think I'd leave the back tire on the gate. Though, I have an 8foot bed.

Tunes, your right good story, and some great directions for shoring up the bed of your truck. I have a F-250 with an 8' bed so I don't worry about my tailgate. I just remove it before I load my bike.

Here is a great write-up of loading in a pickup from Mocc over on the Roadking delphi boards. His truck is longer but if you use the plywood plank it should help distribute the weight on your tailgate.

Truckin

Thank you
This is what I was looking for great article
BuffaloBILL

Last summer some friends visited and had trucked their bike in an S-10 pickup. He had rigged up a piece of channel iron long enough to have the front and rear wheels rest in it. He bolted the channel iron to the bed of the truck. As I recall, the channel iron extended several inches over his tailgate. Worked very well for him.

I can vouch for Big Mike 'cause I was with him when he fearlessly walked his bike up and into the truck bed. Like he said "No problem". The man has nerves of steel! ;)

The cable connections would be the weakest link. As I work with aircraft cable everday 1/8 , 1/4 and 3/8 diameter cable, for example an 1/8 inch aircraft cable is rated for 15,000 lbs of continuous tension. If, and I don't know if truck cables are aircraft rated, most on trucks are 3/8 inch.

The cables that are on your garage door going up to your torsion assembly where the spring are on your door are aircraft rated. Hence, take it from a professional, don't mess with the cables/springs/ pull plates, on your garage door!

So, it's good advise to make sure the cables aren't rusty or frayed on your truck.
I don't have any quams about rolling my bike across the tailgate on my '05 F-150, but I don't think I'd leave the back tire on the gate. Though, I have an 8foot bed.

Truck manufacturer's probably do not use "Aircraft RATED Cables". When I was loading a pickup truck with a Metric 550 lb bike. Prior to loading we had one of my "full sized" buddies "test" the tailgate first, he was about 250 lbs (BIG GUY) by jumping on it, BOTH cables pulled out of the aluminum crimped ends and fortunately he was jumping forward "just in case"; no one was hurt, but the tailgate was dented slightly where it contacted the bumper underneath. :newsmile08:

Truck manufacturer's probably do not use "Aircraft RATED Cables". When I was loading a pickup truck with a Metric 550 lb bike. Prior to loading we had one of my "full sized" buddies "test" the tailgate first, he was about 250 lbs (BIG GUY) by jumping on it, BOTH cables pulled out of the aluminum crimped ends and fortunately he was jumping forward "just in case"; no one was hurt, but the tailgate was dented slightly where it contacted the bumper underneath. :newsmile08:

Your pickup or did you borrow it?

or
a piece of channel iron a couple of inchs longer than your wheelbase...bolt that to your bed and with eyes on both sides and a short tie down, tie the rear wheel down...tie down the front like you normally would...do not use the jiffy stand...that bike will go nowhere...
Gary,
Question: Would a .5 or .75 inch piece of marine plywood on 1x4 pieces (to clear bolts underneath) with the channel iron work?
This way the wood and iron could be taken out and the tailgate shut when not transporting a bike. And put the tie down eyes in the plywood.

I would tie down to the pickup not the plywood.I'm just envisioning plywood channel and bike sliding off the back:(

Back