free website stats program Hauling bike in back of pickup. | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Hauling bike in back of pickup.

I have a 96 road king, I am looking at a 2008 Nissan Forester with a 6' bed and a rampage lift. Does anyone have any experiance with this configuration. Is there any "gotchas" I plan on hauling this 400 - 1000 miles, dropping it and ride for days then a hauling it home, please email me if you have done this.... thanksl

I have a 96 road king, I am looking at a 2008 Nissan Forester with a 6' bed and a rampage lift. Does anyone have any experiance with this configuration. Is there any "gotchas" I plan on hauling this 400 - 1000 miles, dropping it and ride for days then a hauling it home, please email me if you have done this.... thanksl

Yes there is..A buddy of mine demolished his brand new Toyota Tacoma's tailgate by hauling his softail.A 4 by 8 sheet of 3/4" plywood will not fit in a smaller truck.The rear wheel crushed it

Rip a piece of plywood to fit or you'll be replacing the gate.

I use a Rampage power lift. As far as I am concerned a power lift is the only safe way to load and unload a large bike. We travel 1200 miles each way and I check the straps the first stop and after that I have no issues. The bike will sway a bit going through rough roads and turns but no problems. If you do go with any kind of power ramp don't cheap out on the straps. Buy good straps, not the ones from walmart and use more then one set. I use three sets on the front and one set on the rear.
kemo

I did last year on my way to SC bike week. It road with out a hitch I never knew it was back there. I may have over killed the tie down thing though. I not only put them on the front crash bars but also from the rear foot pegs to the back tie down hooks. I also put 2 from the handle bars which made all the difference. it stableized the bike from moving back & forth. I belive the higher point of pull down made a difference.The bike didn't move a bit. Now I'm contomplating putting my road gluide & deluxe on the same GMC 1/2 ton short bed

i am with Smitty on this, trailers can be bought new, at lowes or Home depot for $500. You can probably get a used one out of craigslist.
they come with easy to load ramp, and most have side rails.
i believe the smallest ones new, are rated up to 1500 lb

I hauled my Heritage a couple hundred miles in my Ford with a 5.6 box so the back wheel was on the endgate. The inside of the tailgate now has a nice nest for the back wheel to sit in next time. The outside of the tail gate didn't get bent though. I put in turn buckles beside the cables so I wasn't worried about them breaking.

For hauling heavy items, I would agree with a trailer. It is not just getting the bike up into the truck: backing it down is more frightening to me that riding up into the bed. Lots of potential engergy with that much mass, that high in there air. I think we have all had the forks through the bike over a bit if you are going backwards and grab the front brake too hard. On a ramp it is worse.

That said, many haul bikes in their pick-ups with minimal problems. I would recommend that if you have a receiver hitch, get some 1/4" wall x 2" steel square tube and weld up (or have someone weld) a "tee" that comes out of your hitch, 90's up toward the lowered tailgate and has a cross member that is level (or a 1/4" or so above) with the lowered tailgate. Add some supports from the ends of the cross member back to the tube coming out of the receiver and you will have very little "twist" from the triangles configuration.

This is cheaper than a trailer and most hitches are rated for at least 500 lbs. Add a some boards and you reduce the weight on the tailgate. Even the ramps mount to this support, not the tailgate. Add some eye-bolts and some tie downs and this is pretty solid, even on bumpy roads. Easy to install and comes in handy for trips to the hardware store.

I still say go for the trailer if you can, but I understand if you can't or don't want to. My neighbor tore his rotator cuff trying to save his bike from falling over, while backing it down the ramp. Ended his trip to Sturgis before it started.

IMO:
- Rampage lift = $2400
- Nice m/c trailer = $1500 - 1800

You do the math; I'd feel safer loading/unloading & hauling my bike via. trailer b/c I've seen someone puke the back of their pickup loading w/one of the "in-bed" lifts (not pretty). Also, you can use a trailer for hauling other toys/equipment/junk.....again, JMO.:s

Back