free website stats program Harley Davidson 20/50 Syn | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson 20/50 Syn

ChopperDoc

After being assured by everyone on the forum that changing to syn would not cause my engine to start leaking, I use HD 20/50 syn when I changed the fluids Thursday. I've put about 500 miles on and the only thing I have noticed is that my oil pressure is down about 6-8 psi at cruising speed.

I didn't get any increased valve noise or cam chain noise that I was told to expect, just the decreased oil pressure. Normal or not?

Just read back through my post - error - I didn't use HD oil, I used Spectro 20/50 syn. Sorry about that.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Were you running 20/50W oil before you switched? Maybe warmer weather could be a factor to lower oil pressure??? I have been told by my customers that after switching to a good syn oil that the valve train was quieter and the engine oil temps were cooler, but I'm sure your engine is happier with a better lube like Spectro.

The last two weekends have been HOT. We try to plan a 400/500 mile ride each weekend. Last weekend we put on just under 500 miles and that ride put me at a fluid change. So last weeks ride had Spectro 20/50 real oil and this weekend's ride had the Spectro 20/50 syn. Both weekends around the same temps and about the same speeds - back-roads 45/55 and highway 60/75.

I'm pretty much in tune with my engine's sound and didn't notice any increase or decrease in engine noise, so I would have to say it stayed about the same. The only difference is the drop in oil pressure at cruise - pressure at idle didn't change.

I put in a feuling high-flow pump and heavy-duty cam plate at the beginning of the season so even with this lower pressure I am still moving more oil and at a higher pressure than I did before the upgrade. I'm not worried, just curious why the syn would produce a lower pressure at cruise given it is same viscosity as the natural oil I had been using.

I am going to change out the Air Temp gauge tomorrow to an Oil Temp gauge. I wish I would have put it in before last weekends ride - it would have given me a base-line for comparison.

It is going to be hard not knowing what the air temperature is between the cylinders but I will learn to live with it - Just kidding - Most senseless and useless gauge ever invented.

At the 5,000 mile service on my '09 Ultra Classic, I changed to HD Synthetic. It didn't take a week before I notice oil on the bottom of the engine and primary case.

Picture004.jpg

At the 5,000 mile service on my '09 Ultra Classic, I changed to HD Synthetic. It didn't take a week before I notice oil on the bottom of the engine and primary case.

Picture004.jpg

Is it possible that you spilled a little oil when you changed it, I know I did and it showed under my engine and trans.

I would venture a guess at something leaking or a dribble when you serviced it. The newer bikes have no problems with seals when using the synthetic oils.

Picture004.jpg

I would venture a guess at something leaking or a dribble when you serviced it. The newer bikes have no problems with seals when using the synthetic oils.

Just asking here so correct me if I'm wrong ---- I thought the newer ( 08,09,10) came from the factory with Syn. already in them??

Picture004.jpg
As stated above, that is probably from the oil change. It is almost impossible to change the oil filter and not get some oil around the lower front of the engine and front motor-mount.

We always clean around the area, after the filter change, with brake cleaner then wipe everything down, but sometimes we still get "wet spots" and an occasional drip.

What I have gotten from this forum is it is the older bikes (like mine) that sometimes develop leaks after changing to syn. The syn kind of cleans out the goop that was keeping everything sealed - It leaks but your motor is cleaner - Kind of like "We are lost but making great time".

I believe only the CVO models come from the factory with SYN 3 all ready in them.

When looking at the CVO models they have a sticker on the Primary stating all three holes come filled with HD Syn 3. The regular models come with the regular oils.

Back