free website stats program Harley Davidson 20/50 Syn | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson 20/50 Syn

quote "You're also applying some torque on the mounting point where the filter goes on that it wasn't designed for when you rap on the screwdriver with the hammer. Not much but some. I'm sure the HD engineers designed it for the filter to be gently twisted on and off and nothing more."

trust me when I say it only takes a minimum of force to puncture the skin of the oil filter. If you use a long awl you can actually punch thru without hitting it with a hammer at all..just push and "pop"

Last edited:
Be real careful with this technique. If the screwdriver tip goes further than you intended it can do some damage beyond the filter. You're also applying some torque on the mounting point where the filter goes on that it wasn't designed for when you rap on the screwdriver with the hammer. Not much but some. I'm sure the HD engineers designed it for the filter to be gently twisted on and off and nothing more.

Oh yeah - your method probably voids your warranty! :p

That's a good observation Doc on the negative torque consequence possibly being applied onto the mount point. I can see where using a dull tip on the punch may not be the best regarding that concern.

Maybe my choice of "good whacks with the hammer" wasn't the best. You don't really need to lay down hard on it to get the hole punched. And agree, you don't want to keep punching to where you go 2 inches into the canister and hit the the threaded stand-off that the filter screws onto. Just the initial hole punched is all you need to get it draining -

I'm one of those nuts that cleans the bottom side of the engine and transmission every now and then. I do it just for the reason to see if there are any leaks. After the scoot sits for a few days there will be an oil stain most of the time on the primary case side but not under the drain plug. It didn't start doing that until I changed to full synthetic.

I agree. I wish there was a way to removing the filter without getting oil on the bottom side. I generally use Simple Green under the area after changing the filter.

trust me when I say it only takes a minimum of force to puncture the skin of the oil filter. If you use a long awl you can actually punch thru without hitting it with a hammer at all..just push and "pop"

That's a good observation Doc on the negative torque consequence possibly being applied onto the mount point. I can see where using a dull tip on the punch may not be the best regarding that concern.

Maybe my choice of "good whacks with the hammer" wasn't the best. You don't really need to lay down hard on it to get the hole punched. And agree, you don't want to keep punching to where you go 2 inches into the canister and hit the the threaded stand-off that the filter screws onto. Just the initial hole punched is all you need to get it draining -

You're both absolutely correct - I just always visualize the worst possible thing that could be happen!

I use a pointed awl and hit it with the palm of my hand. Doesn't take much to go through the filters skin to drain the oil out.

Back