free website stats program Harley Canada pulling Licence | Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Canada pulling Licence

Animal

Just a quick story, I was at Cameron Harley in Perth Ontario today and learned they are losing their franchise because they do not meet Harley Canada standards. Started dealership in 1976 and have been a successful business since, but because they don't have one of those fancy new buildings and are located 5 miles out of town Harley is shutting them down. These are the kind of dealers who made H.D. what it is today, what's wrong with this picture? I hate Deely Imports. Almost makes me want to sell my Harley, I said almost. Besides mine is a American bike bought used in Canada, Deely made nothing on that purchase.

Wow, that stinks. I was just wondering what the dealer requirements were because there are so many HD dealers that you can see from the highways now. I literally just asked what the shops were like before they all became all knew box type stores. Sorry to hear that news.

That sucks big time...I love my Harley as well....I also lov my Chevy and Dodge...but some of the practices of these big corporation really get my dander up...I hate that GM and Dodge has gone overseas and South of the border...I have no problem with them going North of the Border because they are UAW...but man This Harley Thing sucks...I know. Now they are trying to satisfy there stock holders...No longer a tradition for the average man. Here in our area ...are number employer. Anheuser-Busch...just sold out to a Belgium Co.

I think all this Harley cray is B.S. I don't think a business wether it be a car dealership or a bike dealership should have to have some multi millon dollar showroom or so many hundred square feet of cloths to be a dealer.

Thows big buildings cost a lot of money to build and maintain and that money comes from our pocket. A lot of small town dealers can not afford to pay out. This is one reason I try not to support big dealerships. I also imported my bike and my neighbours bike into Canada and I buy many parts from the States, I can't afford the big dollars for insurance, and tires and do dads, so I have to do what I have to do.If Trev Deely went broke today it would not upset me one bit. All these big businessare importing from offshore, so why should I not import myself.

Kuriakyn and Harley chrome are imported fro Asia and they charge megabucks for this crap.The big companies are cutting their own NorthAmerican throats by importing all of theiir products, and people are blaming the unions for over pricing our wages and benifit packages.

I for one will support a Mom and Pop business and ignore the big boxes.

Ken

It's a marketing thing. All of the automakers did the same thing years ago. They forced many small town dealers (who had been faithful and trusted for years) out of business.
It is all part of the "Golden Rule" ie. He who has the GOLD, makes the rules!
Not quite the golden rule I learned, but the way of the world....follow the money.

I agree with what you are saying Smitty. However, what I was referring to was what took place in the late70's-early80's? when GM and Ford pulled the exact same stuff on their franchised dealers. They were mandated to move their dealerships out of the towns and cities and to more visible and more easily accessable points along major roadways. Those who did not comply with this edict lost their franchise.
Many continued to operate as independant service garages but were no longer "licensed' by the manufacturer.

Sucks to hear about the dealership. Sometimes it is better to just leave well enough along. When you try to get to big and force the people around you and that supports you to do the same you end up with problems. It seems like every company is out to shut the little guy down.

Harley's aren't the greatest motorcycles in the world and if they don't start satisfying their customers they may find themselfs back to where they were in the 80's. I didn't think that the government should have bailed them out by placing the embargos on the import bikes back then

People love their Harleys (me included) but it seems that for a company that produces a couple of enginges that they produce for a number of years these enginges should be bullit proof, but it seems that every time they bring out another engine they have a major issue (cranks that are out of runout tolerance, cam tentioners and cam bearings) I will not be a loyal consumer if they try to B.S. me. They charge enough money for a bike and parts that there should be no problems.

If they would stick to a tried and true engine, they would have a winning combination, problem as I see it is they try to cheap out on things and cut costs/corners and that's where the problems start. Nobody is going to tell me that the crank they use now is a good design or the previous years weren't better than the latest design. It was a matter of getting them produced cheaper than previous units and now they are paying the piper with replacements to the ones that twist.

As far as them standing behind their product.....It leaves a LOT to be desired. They usually hide behind the technical aspect or something else to run and hide and leave the customer hanging by themselves.

Lots of good points there Smitty. It's a shame that some mechanics get paid the big bucks and don't know what they are doing. I know this is an old tune with me but I am very strong in my beliefs and speak from experience and not hearsay.
Why should we pay $100 an hour for some kid that doesn't know what he's doing to work on our bikes? The MOCO better start to stand behind their product and the dealers better wake up to the customers needs and give a better service for the prices they get.
True they have big overhead but that's no reason the slip it to the customer to make ends meet like I have seen oh so many times. The customer gets it in the end to compensate for the inadequacies of the dealers help and that's just not right.
All the years I was in business, I can count the number of come backs on one hand and they were mostly due to a defective part and not workmanship. It's a thing that's long forgotten called PRIDE!

Back