Hard Starting issues

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by nrs2420, Sep 27, 2010.

1. nrs2420

nrs2420 Member

I'm having a problem with hard starting after fueling up or after a short break. The bike is a 2010 FXDWG with Stage 1 done. Has the power commander. Sometimes it starts fine, sometimes it will crank over 2 or 3 times, but I'm most worried about it cranking 8 times then it will fire and today I let it crank 13 times before I let go, I'm sure it would have kept going as long as I held it. Most of the time if I let it sit for a second after the hard cranking it will start fine with the next push of the button. Also it will start fine if I don't let it run the diagnostics in the beginning and start it while the fuel pump is running.

I really don't want to take it to the dealership, but I'm thinking I'm going to have to.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Sounds like a fuel problem, I would have the Dealer fix it under warranty JMO

3. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

I agree with Jack. Sounds like it has too much fuel at the cranking & low RPM range. Engine starting better if you crank before the pump builds up it's final pressure indicates to me you have too much fuel.

4. nrs2420

nrs2420 Member

Darn, was hoping I didn't have to take it there. Guess I'll make the appointment.

5. sprinklerfitter669

sprinklerfitter669 Junior Member

Carefull that they dont give you grief about warranty with having the power commander on their :s

6. hogrotten

hogrotten Junior Member

have you tried disconecting the power commander and starting it?,just an idea!

7. dcfatboy

dcfatboy Active Member

Would too much fuel in the same circumstance cause what appears to be a compression-like issue when I push the start button? I stop and then press the button again, it starts right up.

8. nrs2420

nrs2420 Member

I don't even know how to go about doing that. They installed it all when I bought it, but maybe I'll give it a look.

9. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

If the cylinders were flooding with fuel maybe starting to hydro lock, but that is reaching IMO

10. nrs2420

nrs2420 Member

It doesn't sound like it is straining when it's cranking, just like it's not getting fuel or spark