free website stats program Had a flat Monday | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Had a flat Monday

I have my opinion about plugging a tire. But I'll keep it to myself.
Also it's been mentioned on a car a front blowout is worst than a rear,
It's the other way around, Besides blow outs are rare now days unless your running extremely low PSI, And on a bike you should notice it long before it gets to that point. Now if you have tubes all bets are off.
Just me now i wouldn't buy or own a bike with tubes.

With all due respect....I dont no why you should keep your opinion to your self....I certainly dont..:s...May I ask you why you think front blowouts in cars are not as bad as rears?...Myself, I have never had a blowout in a street car but I can tell you from 15 years of racing that a rear blowout you may get sideways but you could save it....Now I have had 2 front blowouts racing....The first one I went straight in the turn...The sec time I hit a wall and totaled my car....But this is just my openion..

I seem to be in the minority on this one. I have and will ride on plugged tires. Last one, shop put a mushroom plug and new tube in. Rode close to 4000 more mls before I replaced it

I was going to keep my mouth shut, But i went well over 6 thousand miles on a mushroom plug [with sealer added] also. [VTX1800]

With all due respect....I dont no why you should keep your opinion to your self....I certainly dont..:s...May I ask you why you think front blowouts in cars are not as bad as rears?...Myself, I have never had a blowout in a street car but I can tell you from 15 years of racing that a rear blowout you may get sideways but you could save it....Now I have had 2 front blowouts racing....The first one I went straight in the turn...The sec time I hit a wall and totaled my car....But this is just my openion..

Driving into Manhattan every day for 35+ years i had more than my share of flats, and a few completely shredded tires, The two Beatles i ran into the ground i don't remember getting any flats[narrow tires] But my GTi with the wide Pirelli's, every one had at least two plugs in them, I shredded two of them at different times, both front and no loss of control, Had a rear one go and i was all over the road. Got narrower tires after that. Outside of that it was the best car i ever owned put 350 thousand miles on it. And if i realy want to go back, Blew a rear tire in my 65 442, Back in 65 And i still flinch when think about that white knuckle filght.

I was going to keep my mouth shut, But i went well over 6 thousand miles on a mushroom plug [with sealer added] also. [VTX1800]

No one is saying it should not be done. It is a risk and a gamble that most will not take. For plugging a tire that has been compromised, that in itself is a gamble and the reason most shops will not repair a tire....
I agree that a front blow out is the worst case scenario. Look what happened to Montoya at Daytona....:s

Driving into Manhattan every day for 35+ years i had more than my share of flats, and a few completely shredded tires, The two Beatles i ran into the ground i don't remember getting any flats[narrow tires] But my GTi with the wide Pirelli's, every one had at least two plugs in them, I shredded two of them at different times, both front and no loss of control, Had a rear one go and i was all over the road. Got narrower tires after that. Outside of that it was the best car i ever owned put 350 thousand miles on it. And if i realy want to go back, Blew a rear tire in my 65 442, Back in 65 And i still flinch when think about that white knuckle filght.

Cool Man.....I have been very lucky,,,Mat........

No one is saying it should not be done. It is a risk and a gamble that most will not take. For plugging a tire that has been compromised, that in itself is a gamble and the reason most shops will not repair a tire....
I agree that a front blow out is the worst case scenario. Look what happened to Montoya at Daytona....:s

I agree about the gamble, but i do all the plugging myself so I'll have no one to blame [sue] but myself i don't use the 1.99$ plugs.
But at this stage of the game, [67] If i get a flat ill plug it and then ride to the dealer and get a new tire, I made promise to myself after all the years of working on my own cars, bikes, etc, That i won't crawl under or work on any vehicle anymore , I'll let the dealer do it from now on, can't take it with you, And i don't think you can send it ahead.

I plugged my own rear tire and rode on it for a couple of months to and from work at highway speeds; no problem. But before I took my wife on a ride, I had a new tire. So I too would definitely recommend a new tire! Why take a chance.

My 2 cents, you would be hard pressed to find a dealer willing to repair a tyre, Too much of a liability Plus they want to sell you a new tyre, That said I have repaired many tyres with Permanent Patch plugs, Also Michellin has done a lot of R&D on placing new tyres on the rear of modern day front wheel drive cars, their reasoning is the rear ends are light and they tend to swing around when you have a blow out, un lke having a blow out on the front STEER axle, do I agree with this NO but MOST tyre installers do Just My 2 cents

Your dealer is absolutely correct. You should ride it from home to the shop and replace the tire. You only have 2 tires and with the demand put on motorcycle tires why run the risk of a repaired tire???? You will gain nothing by repairing tire just putting off the inevitable, and next time you might not be so lucky....

Thanks guys. You are absolutely right. I was just upset over ruining a brand new tire and looking for options. I had a new tire put on the next day, and as luck would have it, it was completely covered under my extended warranty. I had the tire and wheel add on. I had forgotten about it and Chris and Brandon at Kingwood Harley Davidson were on top of things (as usual) and checked on it for me. Can't say enough about extended warranties with the tire and wheel plan, and I can't say enough about the people at Kingwood Harley-Davidson. Again thanks to all at HDTimeline who responded.

You're welcome rollo.

In 1979 i had a flat on the rear at 70 mph i was thrown down the road and bounced off the side of a bus
i was in the most part ok as i had been wearing good gear and i was young enough to bounce and shrug it off although i was sore for a week or 2
i do not want to experience that again so if in doubt replace the tyre
Brian

Man that sounds serious Brian. Did the tire blow out all at once ?

I traveled quite a distance once at 70 mph with a semi on my tail, and I noticed my bike seemed to be pulling harder to keep up the speed. Finally I came into a town with a red light and I pulled in to a store. As I got off my bike the rear tire was totally flat. I immediately wondered what it could have been like.

Back