free website stats program GPS systems | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

GPS systems

I am embarrassed to say that I spent the big bucks back in the time that the list price for a HD QuestII was nearly $800. But bought from Chicago HD for $20% off. Now, I have a GPS for every vehicle I own and most bottom end Garmins. The piced dropped over a couple of years to where even they are now 1/4 of what they were in cost or totally new models.

I compare it to the day back in 1979 when I bought my first VCR for $1400. At the time they had price dropped in half. Was it worth every penny then? Yes, to me. Being a shift worker with only 4 channel TV it was either have it or at the mercy of TV net works. Years later when you could buy one for $29 had no impact. I needed it, used the life out of it, and never batted an eye. I feel like all electronics GPS will continue to come down in price and get better and more powerful. Does it make me want to wait for years or even decades to have a GPS at a give away price? No way, I need it now and find that even at the inflated price I paid for my QuestII that I'm a happy camper.

My recommendations is for a water proof model like a TOM TOM Rider or ZUMO etc. I know many who have the bottom of the line Garmins that are still working with a little care in putting the baggie over it in rain but for me being 2000 miles away from home I'd just as soon not worry about rain or elements. For me having the waterproof was just the thing to have.

My QuestII isn't a touch screen but much more detailed than my other Garmins with more control and features in a lot of ways. But, typing in an address using manual arrow keys to choose each letter and pressing ok is not much fun after the ease of using the touch screens. In all I would not recommend the QuestII now, it's slightly outdated with a small screen. I do love the preloaded HD dealer locater and used it coming back from Las Vegas last year when I had a bike problem. I understand the Dealer locater file is available somewhere on the net that will work on others.

I guess with all the good things I've read about the Zumo 550 that's what I'd have to buy today if I were doing it all over. I really don't need the XM, bluetooth or MP3 etc though. If at any time I couldn't afford it, I'd buy any of them that I could afford and baggie it if I had to.

Thanks to FifthGEAR, biglew55, NEWHD74FAN, and all the others for your insight.

I have never owned a GPS unit before but am thinking seriously about one for this year. A lot of the road captains in one of the groups I ride with frequently uses Garmin GPS units of various styles to plan the trips and lead them, and I have seen the usefulness. Sometimes just a compass and a good map is all you need, but the GPS can give much more.

My quandary - Do I spend a little ($100 - 200) for a basic waterproof style GPS unit just to navigate around and find home after getting lost? Or should I spend a little more ($500 +) for a better unit that has MP3 and Bluetooth (for cellphone use), along with another $250 + for a good pair of headsets so I can take calls and the wife and I can listen to tunes while riding?

I really have no need for the XM radio, traffic, weather and such available on the higher end units, but do like the idea of wireless MP3 tunes (in stereo, if possible) and wireless/handsfree cellphone capability. If I understand correctly - the zumo 450 and 550 are NOT stereo. but it appears that the new 660 has stereo.

I don't mind spending a little more at this stage of my life, but not sure if it's worth it or not. Oh, what to do, what to do?

Another question for anyone with experience - What is a good brand/style of bluetooth headset gear for rider & passenger to converse and listen to the MP3 from the GPS unit? Thanks for any feedback guys.

GPS's are helpful; sometimes they can get you where you need to be, and at the very least confirm that you're on the right track. GPS's made for cycles are high $$$; for my car, I use the TomTom 1, so I got the TT software for my AT&T Tilt cell phone/PDA (free), loaded the car unit's map into it, and, voila!!!, a small, GPS that I can put anywhere on the bike, i.e. tank bag, drink holder--at no additional cost.

Especially works nice when walking around a city and you don't know where the hell you are.....

I resisted the cell phone for a long time, now have a Blackberry and find the convenience of it was too long in coming. I resisted the urge to buy the GPS as I have a nav system that rides behind me and is good at reading maps, when she remembers her glasses! Either she got tired of stopping to read the map, or wanted to get her eyes off the map and out into the landscape. Either way, she bought me the Zumo 550. Probably more than we needed, and I've only used it around town for now. This summer we'll put it through its paces.

I resisted the cell phone for a long time, now have a Blackberry and find the convenience of it was too long in coming. I resisted the urge to buy the GPS as I have a nav system that rides behind me and is good at reading maps, when she remembers her glasses! Either she got tired of stopping to read the map, or wanted to get her eyes off the map and out into the landscape. Either way, she bought me the Zumo 550. Probably more than we needed, and I've only used it around town for now. This summer we'll put it through its paces.

Let us know what you think of it after a good test or two.

the old Garmin 2610 is a great GPS. it is water and vibration proof and works well on a motorcycle. you can get them on e-bay for around $100-$200. I've had mine for years and it is great.

wanted some updated features, so just got a Zumo 550 for about $599 on HSN. it comes with all the mounts, etc. and is designed for MC use.

P6093777.jpg

I will reply since owning the Zumo 550 for two years now. When you enter a destination it will give you the ETA bottom center of the screen, also when you push the bottom right corner it will give you the next turn and how far, if you scroll thru it will give you your miles to the destination. Has lots of features and I enjoy updating the Zumo on line when new software becomes available and it's free.

Back