free website stats program GPS systems | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

GPS systems

I use a Garmin NUVI 205W, plus a RAM handlebar bracket. Don't use it "always", just when distant rides take me on goofy roads when time/direction might be a factor. Widescreen visibility is nice on my 'getting-old' eyes. And respectfully, the under $200 cost didn't bite me as bad as the nearly $1k would have that had H-D dealerships listed.

Try looking for a factory refurbished Garmin unit. I use a Garmin 2720 that I picked up a year ago for $250. It works great. To keep it simple, I just plugged the power plug into the cigar lighter on my Ulta's fairing.

I'm going to ask this as nicely as possible. I was invited here and promised to behave myself so what I have to ask is strictly a matter of curiosity and not a slam in any way. But I do wonder, what is it that makes one not see the cost of as low as $100 not a worth it solution for a GPS? Is it that you don't tour much on your touring bike? Is it that you have a photographic memory to remember the streets/turns after having to stop to look at your many many maps? Is it that you never enter or want to enter off the beaten path roads and return to the starting point without the hassle of having to stop to pull out a map? Is it that you don't have to be at a certain location to make your next planned day ride possible? I'm just curious. I have been touring the great USA from border to border and beyond, and coast to coast longer than some are years old, and I just wonder if it's that you never had a GPS or that you have rejected the new fangled idea of technology. I know for me it's hard to give up the old way. Shoot, I went for years thinking that my recurve bow was accurate enough. Until I had a match with a very less experienced guy with a compound bow and sights. I ate some crow that day and bought the state of the art compound bow with sights and trigger release LOL.

You see, I am old school. I didn't even appreciate going from kick start to electric start for years. I even considered just crossing the USA on a pogo stick just because I knew I could do it and none have tried it that I know of. I knew probably the very last guy on the planet who still had a rotary dial telephone. But I ask in all sincerity, what do you find for a hundred dollars that can make touring more easy and not having to have a tourpak full of outdated inaccurate paper maps? I'm with you as far as resisting change. But if you do leave the well known roads around where you live, I just think you need to try a GPS then come back and say you make out just fine without one and I'll tell you that I'm just as comfortable on my pogo stick as what you are riding. :)

Last edited:
Welcome to the 21st century.... The older I get the more I am amazed at the speed of the high tech age. Since everyone here is using the internet and a computer, you must admit how easy it is to find information on anything at you finger tips. I use the Zumo 550 and would not leave home without it! Once you get one and use it ... you would understand!

Fifthgear , It's not resisting technology,when I'm touring I don't care if I take a wrong turn I have found some of the most interesting places that way. When I have somewhere to go in time yes I memorize my route. I just prefer not to be watching a screen showing me the road ahead and telling me where to turn. As far as the technology thing I carry my laptop with me everywhere, it sits under the luggage in my tourpack and I can pull it out anytime I want ,go online and make a reservation at the next place I want to be:D

I have a GPS reciever that will bluetooth to my web enabled cell phone. I can use it with google maps or live search. It will give turn by turn directions if desired. If I get lost I use it, if not stays in my back pack. Works good, lasts a long time.

I just got a refurbished Garmin 330 from Amazon for $90.00. It is very portable and just plugs into a cig power source.

I'm going to ask this as nicely as possible. I was invited here and promised to behave myself so what I have to ask is strictly a matter of curiosity and not a slam in any way. But I do wonder, what is it that makes one not see the cost of as low as $100 not a worth it solution for a GPS? Is it that you don't tour much on your touring bike? Is it that you have a photographic memory to remember the streets/turns after having to stop to look at your many many maps? Is it that you never enter or want to enter off the beaten path roads and return to the starting point without the hassle of having to stop to pull out a map? Is it that you don't have to be at a certain location to make your next planned day ride possible? I'm just curious. I have been touring the great USA from border to border and beyond, and coast to coast longer than some are years old, and I just wonder if it's that you never had a GPS or that you have rejected the new fangled idea of technology. I know for me it's hard to give up the old way. Shoot, I went for years thinking that my recurve bow was accurate enough. Until I had a match with a very less experienced guy with a compound bow and sights. I ate some crow that day and bought the state of the art compound bow with sights and trigger release LOL.

You see, I am old school. I didn't even appreciate going from kick start to electric start for years. I even considered just crossing the USA on a pogo stick just because I knew I could do it and none have tried it that I know of. I knew probably the very last guy on the planet who still had a rotary dial telephone. But I ask in all sincerity, what do you find for a hundred dollars that can make touring more easy and not having to have a tourpak full of outdated inaccurate paper maps? I'm with you as far as resisting change. But if you do leave the well known roads around where you live, I just think you need to try a GPS then come back and say you make out just fine without one and I'll tell you that I'm just as comfortable on my pogo stick as what you are riding. :)

+1!

I am the first to admit that I am an analog guy living in a digital world.

Although I worked for years as a factory trained technician on Ford products with my specialty being electronic engine controls (read: fuel injection), my 08 Electra-glide is the first fuel injected motorcycle I have owned. The only reason I went with fuel injection is because I could no longer get a new Harley with a carburator (read: simple mechanical toilet bowl for fuel).

I am a big believer in the "simpler is better" philosophy but I also enjoy touring on my motorcycle.

Having a GPS unit is much simpler that carrying around dozens of outdated, torn, wrinkled up maps that try to blow away in the wind and turn into mush when it rains.

The GPS does not tell me where to go, it lets me know where I am. While some may feel that detracts from the adventure, I find it kind of handy for certain times such as when I am in the middle of the Nevada desert and my low fuel light comes on.

The GPS lets me know which roads and intersections I am approaching before I get there. I find that to be safer and far less distracting than taking my eyes off the road (and the cage waiting to turn left in front of me) while I squint at some faded road sign and try to read those little letters.

I am as skeptical of new technology as anyone but every once in a while a better mouse-trap does comes along. Its been my experience that the GPS certainly fits into that category.:cheers

+1!

I am the first to admit that I am an analog guy living in a digital world.

Although I worked for years as a factory trained technician on Ford products with my specialty being electronic engine controls (read: fuel injection), my 08 Electra-glide is the first fuel injected motorcycle I have owned. The only reason I went with fuel injection is because I could no longer get a new Harley with a carburator (read: simple mechanical toilet bowl for fuel).

I am a big believer in the "simpler is better" philosophy but I also enjoy touring on my motorcycle.

Having a GPS unit is much simpler that carrying around dozens of outdated, torn, wrinkled up maps that try to blow away in the wind and turn into mush when it rains.

The GPS does not tell me where to go, it lets me know where I am. While some may feel that detracts from the adventure, I find it kind of handy for certain times such as when I am in the middle of the Nevada desert and my low fuel light comes on.

The GPS lets me know which roads and intersections I am approaching before I get there. I find that to be safer and far less distracting than taking my eyes off the road (and the cage waiting to turn left in front of me) while I squint at some faded road sign and try to read those little letters.

I am as skeptical of new technology as anyone but every once in a while a better mouse-trap does comes along. Its been my experience that the GPS certainly fits into that category.:cheers

COULD NOT HAVE SAID THAT ANY BETTER MYSELF !!

I like to have my GPS because if I need it it will be there. I dont always activate a route. Sometimes I just let it sit on the dash page so I get the compass and speed etc.
If I do go somewhere and get "lost" and need to get back I just punch it in and away I go. Also if I need gas I can pull up the nearest station and I wont have to push my ride.
I have actually found of the beaten path places by using the GPS.
I have both a zumo and GPSmap 478. I love the live weather on the 478 it lets me ride around some storms. I like the Garmins because they are designed and supported by bikers. I'm not a big fan of the new Zumo though...

Back