free website stats program got a tip on exhaust from dealership, but will it work?? | Harley Davidson Forums

got a tip on exhaust from dealership, but will it work??

ron1978

i'm running true duals v&h dresser duals, i saw a set of 4" rineharts on a 2011 sg bike, i loved the sound it made real deep, so the dealership man told me i could get close to same sound out of mine by removing my baffles sawing them in half and reinstalling them , makes it deeper and still have back pressure, and it it was not deep enough saw more off till i liked the sound, will this work??
just thought i'd ask before i ruin a set off expensive mufflers
if it wont work i'll be selling mine to buy a set of the rh's.
they were $650.00 for 2

Might help to know what kind of mufflers are on your V&H headers currently. Did you just switch the headers and keep the stock mufflers or do you have some kind of slip ons installed?

My .02 but wouldn't do anything to ruin the V&H's. Unless you can buy another set of baffles for them and they are cheap. As for the sawing in half - most baffles go the full length of the muffler - if you saw them in half, not clear on how you would mount them back.

I wouldn't do it, but that's me...

Hmmm. True duals and you are thinking about removing some of the baffle. I see possible problems with this modification. I would be afraid that I would reduce the needed backpressure to the point I was loosing torque and horsepower. Loudness definitely does not translate to power across the entire powerband, especially with our Harleys. My concern would be that any good set of true duals is probably tuned for all things relavent. Physics being what it is, it is not nice to mess with Mother Nature. Before you do anything maybe put a call into the maker of your pipes. Pose the question to them. I think they would probably lawyer up due to EPA laws, but it won't cost much to see what their position is.

Wouldn't do it either...had a svs tech tell me to crimp deutsch pins w/needle-nose pliers vs. buying tool - after doing more research...I bought the tool...don't want to mess w/electronics & poor connections. ;-)

Remember it's "your" bike - not the person giving this advise. IMO - get the Rinehart pipes - then you'll have the sound & can sell your old pipes to re-claim some of the cost.

Vance & Hines true duels have a removable baffles & you can buy new baffles for around $100 . A shorter baffle will allow for more sound and you should not have a back pressure issue . Some people have removed the baffles all together and only used a washer welded to a threaded rod to maintain the needed back pressure . I say it is your bike so go for it but I would saw about a 1/4 off the baffle first then if you want more sound you can take a little more off the baffle . Remember the louder the bike is the harder it is to hear the radio & on long rides the noise will get to you .

It works. I actually lost a baffle on the highway once, blew it straight out the back. I couldnt find one and was too cheap to buy a new set, so I took out the one I had left, cut it in half, and put half back in each side. Sounded great to me, but too loud for the wife, so I ended up changing out the pipes.

well i tried it i cut in 3/4 in half, left only the part that has the baffle in it, well, yea it sounds different, but just not satisfied with it, i made a clean cut with a chop saw, so i'll be tigging it back together monday, , will problably keep my mufflers, i called big city thunder, they told me they have what i need, $79.99 + 10.30 to ship, thay claim to have sold 1,000's of these for same application. so i'l give it a try, if not what i'm looking for rineharts are what i'm looking at next. thanks

Back