free website stats program got a oil issue, need opinions. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

got a oil issue, need opinions.

does this sound like a good combination?

mobil 1 full syn 20w50 -motor
primary oil formula +
tranny, heavy duty platinum 75w 140 full syn

and are the 5 micron filter better than the 10 micron the book calls out for?

My understanding on the filter IS HD doesn't put the micron numbers on the filter anymore.. Why???? maybe they are NOT always the same from filter to filter...

I asked the HD parts guy How many Microns and he said all the TC bike filters ARE now 5 micron....

No mention on How many microns on the sporty filter tho...

Very Vague answers... Makes me wonder?? ALSO

Now if you go for Other than a HD filter????? they will probably State the filter Micron ability.

signed....BUBBIE

My question is about the 75-90 synthetic gear oil. Is it good for year round or just in the hot temperatures. While we are talking about oil, with a fuel injected 2000 road king, would straight 50 or 60 from HD be harmful or beneficial in ambient temperatures of 85-110. I was told by one indy mechanic that those oils were only for the early evos and shovelheads?

My question is about the 75-90 synthetic gear oil. Is it good for year round or just in the hot temperatures. While we are talking about oil, with a fuel injected 2000 road king, would straight 50 or 60 from HD be harmful or beneficial in ambient temperatures of 85-110. I was told by one indy mechanic that those oils were only for the early evos and shovelheads?

For ME,,,

I use Redline Heavy Shockproof Gear Oil in the tranny Year Around... 75w250 and never a problem.... Big gears in the harleys Require cooling and DO heat up (year around)..

Your choice on the brand but I would stick with a 75w140 at the Least....

Remember the second number is what the weight will be to compare to the HEAT the tanny Might get to... So the 75w250 or 75w140 are JUST numbers to tell you the protection @ 75w the lube will take under added HEAT and not thin out......

Heat Thins out the oil and the Viscosity (second number) shows how much protection from HEAT the oil must "get to" to Lower the first number...

I would stick with a 20/50 or 20/60 V-twin oil for the engine...

signed....BUBBIE

I am running 20W-50 Amsoil in all 3 holes.

75W-140 gear oil is between 10W-40 and 20W-50 engine oil. Amsoil shearing protection on there engine oil is good. Really good.

When I do changes on my bike I do not find any particles on the drain plugs. When I check before trips the oil in the tranny is still like new. I do not have clutch slippage when using it in the primary, and the engine protection is great.

Most of the major brands full synthetic is good engine oil. Good 'ol SL rated oil for your primary should be fine, but Amsoil synthetic is rated for wet clutches, and works good also.

It is all a matter of trust and what you like. No one that I know of has the tools or software to prove one is better than the other, and there are a lot of motorcycles on the road, and I bet they are not all using the same fluids. Pick one. Stick with it. You should be good. Don't stress on it. Get a major synthetic that is rated for all 3 holes, or use a different fluid for all 3, but choose and stay with it @ regular intervals, and you will be good to go. JMO.

I am running 20W-50 Amsoil in all 3 holes.

75W-140 gear oil is between 10W-40 and 20W-50 engine oil. Amsoil shearing protection on there engine oil is good. Really good.

When I do changes on my bike I do not find any particles on the drain plugs. When I check before trips the oil in the tranny is still like new. I do not have clutch slippage when using it in the primary, and the engine protection is great.

Most of the major brands full synthetic is good engine oil. Good 'ol SL rated oil for your primary should be fine, but Amsoil synthetic is rated for wet clutches, and works good also.

It is all a matter of trust and what you like. No one that I know of has the tools or software to prove one is better than the other, and there are a lot of motorcycles on the road, and I bet they are not all using the same fluids. Pick one. Stick with it. You should be good. Don't stress on it. Get a major synthetic that is rated for all 3 holes, or use a different fluid for all 3, but choose and stay with it @ regular intervals, and you will be good to go. JMO.

IMO, gear oil is what it says, made for the extreme shear strength needed in these constant mesh trannys

Then why is it that gear oil is second on the list from Amsoil for recommended use in H-D trannies?

Also why do so many bikes in the world share motor oil for the transmission and engine? Just because you have a separate transmission doesn't mean you have to use gear oil. Check out Amsoils website.

Check out Amsoil's website.

Applications
AMSOIL SEVERE GEAR™ Synthetic EP Lubricants are excellent for severe applications, such as towing, hauling, steep hill driving, commercial use, plowing, racing, off-road use, rapid acceleration, frequent stop-and-go operation and high ambient temperatures.

Higher horsepower, towing and hauling capabilities of modern vehicles make turbo diesel pick-ups, SUVs, vans and delivery/utility vehicles especially prone to severe service. Other severe duty vehicles include light, medium and heavy-duty trucks, busses, heavy equipment, 4X4s, tow trucks, race cars, tractors, and motorhomes.

For product service life in differentials, consult your owner’s manual or the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) to establish the application, NORMAL or SEVERE.

Nowhere in this listing do I see an application listed for motorcycles.

AMSOIL Synthetic Severe Gear 75W-140 Gear Lube

Last edited by a moderator:
The key here is to remember NOT to use 100% Synthetic or oils that have "friction modifiers" that will shorten the life of your oil wetted clutch in the Primary...that will shorten the life of your clutch by slipping.

Then why is it that gear oil is second on the list from Amsoil for recommended use in H-D trannies?

Also why do so many bikes in the world share motor oil for the transmission and engine? Just because you have a separate transmission doesn't mean you have to use gear oil. Check out Amsoils website.

Applications
AMSOIL SEVERE GEAR™ Synthetic EP Lubricants are excellent for severe applications, such as towing, hauling, steep hill driving, commercial use, plowing, racing, off-road use, rapid acceleration, frequent stop-and-go operation and high ambient temperatures.

Higher horsepower, towing and hauling capabilities of modern vehicles make turbo diesel pick-ups, SUVs, vans and delivery/utility vehicles especially prone to severe service. Other severe duty vehicles include light, medium and heavy-duty trucks, busses, heavy equipment, 4X4s, tow trucks, race cars, tractors, and motorhomes.

For product service life in differentials, consult your owner’s manual or the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) to establish the application, NORMAL or SEVERE.

Your ride you decide, I like gear oil in my tranny, I have seen damage from motor oil as well as gear oil JMO

does this sound like a good combination?

mobil 1 full syn 20w50 -motor
primary oil formula +
tranny, heavy duty platinum 75w 140 full syn

and are the 5 micron filter better than the 10 micron the book calls out for?

I don't bother with full syn in the tranny. Semi works for me,

I believe strongly in great filters. I THINK, check me, that HD revised requirements and all twin cams need 5 micron filters n ow.

You have an excellent plan, btw.

IMO, gear oil is what it says, made for the extreme shear strength needed in these constant mesh trannys

Plus it is loaded with extreme pressure and anti wear additives

Explains the stink

Last edited by a moderator:

Applications

Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community good reading here

Back