free website stats program got a oil issue, need opinions. | Harley Davidson Forums

got a oil issue, need opinions.

ron1978

i recently bought a 2005 rk classic from dealer, when i got it it has 29000 miles, the dealer said man had just changed all fliuds before the trade in, but they had no clue to what was run in it, (brand, syn or not etc.) so i want to know is it safe to run a hd micron 5 filter and mobil 1 full syn in all three holes like the bottle says it can do??
or should i run harley formula + in tranny AND primary and just run mobil in motor?? dealer told me that mobil 1 was great oil as there syn 3 was great also, that todays oils were built to perform in extreme conditions, like the hd motors. i want to run full syn in all the holes but value you guys opinions.

the mobil vtwin 20 -50 says it'll run in all three holes, should it be trusted is the question?

My opinion and what I do is M1 for oil only Formula+ for the primary and Spectro syn trans fluid in the tranny. Lots of different opinions will surface do some research with the search function. Page after page of info on this. I would NOT run M1 in all three holes. My .02

Bodeen

I have a 04 road king and an 09 ultra and run the mobile 1 in the engine, furmula + in the primnary and spectro in the transmission. Love these productes and have changes several friends oils and they love it.
Be sure to use the GL-1 in the 5 speeds and GL-5 in the 6 speeds (Spectro).

You CAN run 20W-50 in all 3 holes.

You shouldn't.

Run a good Syn 20W-50 in the engine. mobil1 V twin is a good choice, Syn 3
I don't see as being equal.

Tranny, Lot's of folks run 75W-90, A lot run 85W-140. I like the 140.

Primary. Well, you'll see ATF, 10W-30, 20w-50, Formula+, etc,

I like 75W-90.

Remember though, Gear lubes and motor oils don't run on same scale. So 20W-50 oil and 75W-90 gear lube are actually pretty close viscosity wise. Difference is in the anti wear and extreme pressure additives. And a tranny, and primary, need those,

You CAN run 20W-50 in all 3 holes.

You shouldn't.

Run a good Syn 20W-50 in the engine. mobil1 V twin is a good choice, Syn 3
I don't see as being equal.

Tranny, Lot's of folks run 75W-90, A lot run 85W-140. I like the 140.

Primary. Well, you'll see ATF, 10W-30, 20w-50, Formula+, etc,

I like 75W-90.

Remember though, Gear lubes and motor oils don't run on same scale. So 20W-50 oil and 75W-90 gear lube are actually pretty close viscosity wise. Difference is in the anti wear and extreme pressure additives. And a tranny, and primary, need those,

Hey Bluesfan,

reading your signature, i strongly value your opinion :s

does this sound like a good combination?

mobil 1 full syn 20w50 -motor
primary oil formula +
tranny, heavy duty platinum 75w 140 full syn

and are the 5 micron filter better than the 10 micron the book calls out for?

does this sound like a good combination?

mobil 1 full syn 20w50 -motor
primary oil formula +
tranny, heavy duty platinum 75w 140 full syn

and are the 5 micron filter better than the 10 micron the book calls out for?

Very good choices, IMHO.

You should run a 5 micron filter on the TC engine. I suggest the HD filter, although WIX now makes their filter to the HD spec for the TCs. However, the prices are about the same.

TQ

Back