free website stats program FXR oil pump repair | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

FXR oil pump repair

Sorry to take so long to get back. Case is an S&S superstock to replace the 80 to 92 harley cases. It has the pipe plug port just behind the pump that is used for promary oil return. It is presently plugged. Am thinking about using it as a means to suck the blowby oil from the breather back into the engine using a 3 ported canister as a colloection device. That way I eliminate the oil blown out of the breather hose, carburetor oily mess, and put the blown oil back into the engine. Later cases stock & replacements don't have the plug to enable this type of setup.

Grumpy
You must have the same cases as me - except I've got the big-bore/stroker version. All the installation instructions are on S&S homepage. If you look at instructions no. 51-1063 pages 5&6 - I assume it's hole 'D' you are talking about (inboard of the oil pump)?

S&S text quote:

"D. Primary housing oil scavenge passage
1965 - early 1984 engines with dry clutch and engine
supplied primary chain oiling.
Hardware: 31-2019 primary oil return fitting and
50-8331 socket head pipe plug. See Line Drawing,
items 33 & 34.
Function: Hole D leads to vacuum side of crankcase
breather gear. Hole D is normally used to scavenge oil
from primary chain case in 1965 - early 1984 models with
dry clutch and engine-supplied primary oiling."

As I see it, the problem is that you'll basically close a system that is intended to be open by routing the overpressure back into the cases. I do not know how this would work in practise, but you could get into problems with excessive pressure in the cases.

Back