free website stats program FXDX wobbles when decelerating | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

FXDX wobbles when decelerating

ok, don't want to be a bore but... if alignment is the problem, wouldn't that also have an effect on the normal riding? now it's only that one particular moment when decelerating...
I checked the pressure on the side on the tires, rear tire states 50 psi (!). we'll see what happens! :)

50 psi is the MAXIMUM pressure, you don't want to pressure up to that.

Alignment can cause a number of problems and not just on deceleration but because of the weight shift to the front, it lightens the down force on the rear tire.

had the same problem over the past summer .. on my 04 low rider rear mount was cracked and i couldn't see it .. so i replace it a long with the front not hard to do at all

If you haven't checked the steering neck bearings, this may be your problem. The fall away test for the front end is somewhere in the help section. Also be sure the bearings are greased.

When a bike decelerates the weight is shifted from the back wheel to the front if the front tyre is under inflated the weight shift can slightly deform the tyre causing the tread to grip unevenly
As the bike from the factory would have been fitted with a bias ply which is belted cross ply which gives a near straight and very rigid side wall
Most aftermarket tyres are radial softer and slightly bulging side wall the radial tyres require a wee bit more pressure to maintain correct shape and contact area
So front tyre pressure is the critical area for your issue

Brian

Have you also checked the front tire for a problem or even the wheel itself if you have spokes being it's wobbling when you brake/decelerate? When is the last time the forks were serviced and refilled with equal amounts of oil?

The forks were serviced in May. The tire was checked monday, as was the alignment.
I think the only thing left is the rubber mount...?
WAP.gif

Problem solved!

it was a combination of worn bearings and a bad rear hub. So when the bike was standing still you could'nt feel the loose spokes. Once we jacked it up, the wheel had about 2 inches of play on either side. So new hub, new spokes and new bearings and I once again have a smooth ride!
WAP.gif

Problem solved!

it was a combination of worn bearings and a bad rear hub. So when the bike was standing still you could'nt feel the loose spokes. Once we jacked it up, the wheel had about 2 inches of play on either side. So new hub, new spokes and new bearings and I once again have a smooth ride!
WAP.gif

Awesome!!!

And thanks for coming back to post what the resolution of your problem was. Hopefully it'll help someone else down the road.

Back